Override .condarc file location?

1 view

Skip Montanaro

May 7, 2018, 10:32:27 AM5/7/18
to conda - Public
At work I share the same (NFS-mounted) home directory on Linux and Windows.
I do virtually nothing with Windows other than read mail and use it as a
glorified X terminal.

I did want to install and run a small typing/mouse watcher. I installed a
locally cached Anaconda environment and just run it from the root
environment (yeah, bad practice, I suppose, but I can always delete it and
start over if necessary - it's not shared with anyone).

Installation worked fine, but update failed because there are some local
Linux-specific bits in my ~/.condarc file. I commented them out to get
update to succeed. Is there a cleaner way of separating my Windows and
Linux .condarc files? Maybe a CONDARC environment variable which specifies
its location? This:

https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tasks/build-packages/environment-variables.html

seemed like the obvious place such an environment variable would be
described, but I saw nothing. Any pointers/suggestions appreciated...

Skip Montanaro

Guilherme Quentel Melo

May 8, 2018, 3:42:21 AM5/8/18
to Skip Montanaro, conda - Public
There is exactly a CONDARC environment variable that you use to override the config file location.
But I could not find anything on the documentation. All I found is this issue suggesting to document it:

https://github.com/conda/conda-docs/issues/333

Maybe they had plans to deprecate it? Anyway I think it's too useful to deprecate it.

Skip Montanaro

May 8, 2018, 1:53:16 PM5/8/18
to gqm...@gmail.com, conda - Public
> There is exactly a CONDARC environment variable that you use to override
the config file location.
> But I could not find anything on the documentation.

Thanks, Guilherme. I don't feel so bad about not finding it. :-)

Skip

Kale Franz

May 8, 2018, 5:53:48 PM5/8/18
to Skip Montanaro, gqm...@gmail.com, conda - Public
No plans to deprecate the CONDARC environment variable. Only plans would be to finally get our docs in shape. Definitely aware we have a deficiency here.

Sent from my iPhone

givanildo.almeida1

May 11, 2018, 10:27:45 AM5/11/18
to Skip Montanaro, gqm...@gmail.com, conda - Public

Enviado do meu smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

-------- Mensagem originalz3 --------
De: Skip Montanaro <skip.mo...@gmail.com>
Data: 08/05/18 14:52 (GMT-03:00)
Cc: conda - Public <co...@continuum.io>