How to install Conda (miniconda) without root access (jailshell) or links to system packages

Ariel Balter

Jul 10, 2017, 12:59:12 PM7/10/17
to conda - Public
I had thought that miniconda could be installed in a completely portable way. But it turns out you seem to need links to system packages belonging to root. I think this is the essence of [this question](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41640056/do-conda-environments-have-access-to-root-environment-system-packages), which remains unanswered.

I've been using conda a bunch and installing without root. I'm trying to install it on a bluehost shared server. They have recently changed the ssh shell to a jailshell that does not allow linking to system packages. I did not realize this would be an obstacle. However, the linking is a problem.

    [/home7/arielbal/miniconda3] >>> /home7/arielbal/test/conda
    PREFIX
=/home7/arielbal/test/conda
    installing
: python-3.6.1-2 ...
    tar
: bin/2to3: Cannot create symlink to `2to3-3.6': Permission denied
    tar: bin/idle3: Cannot create symlink to `
idle3.6': Permission denied
    tar: bin/pydoc: Cannot create symlink to `pydoc3.6'
: Permission denied
    tar
: bin/pydoc3: Cannot create symlink to `pydoc3.6': Permission denied
    tar: bin/python: Cannot create symlink to `
python3.6': Permission denied
    tar: bin/python3: Cannot create symlink to `python3.6'
: Permission denied
    tar
: bin/python3-config: Cannot create symlink to `python3.6m-config': Permission denied
    tar: bin/python3.6-config: Cannot create symlink to `
python3.6m-config': Permission denied
    tar: bin/pyvenv: Cannot create symlink to `pyvenv-3.6'
: Permission denied
    tar
: lib/libpython3.6m.so: Cannot create symlink to `libpython3.6m.so.1.0': Permission denied
    tar: share/man/man1/python3.1: Cannot create symlink to `
python3.6.1': Permission denied
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Bluehost does allow compiling (unlike greengeeks.com), so I actually went through and did local installs of all those packages. I was eventually able to get conda to install. But when installing packages, I again ran into permissions issues.

Is there a way to install conda in a completely portable way that will handle all dependencies not currently linkable on the system?

John Eppley

Jul 10, 2017, 2:15:58 PM7/10/17
to Ariel Balter, conda - Public
Although I don't claim to be an authority on such things, I have never heard of this kind of restriction.

Also, I don't think conda is trying to link to system/root libraries in that step. On my ststem the links in $CONDA_ROOT/bin and $CONDA_ROOT/lib point back to the same directory. The do not point to any system files. EG:

jmepple-lm:~ jmeppley$ ls -lrth /Users/jmeppley/anaconda3/bin/2to3
lrwxr-xr-x  1 jmeppley  staff     8B Jul  6 14:32 /Users/jmeppley/anaconda3/bin/2to3 -> 2to3-3.5

Are you sure you have write access to /home7/arielbal/test/conda?

Ariel Balter

Jul 10, 2017, 3:45:28 PM7/10/17
to conda - Public, ariel....@gmail.com

I'm super confused as well. And yes, I'm sure I have write permissions because I was able to ultimately install miniconda after compiling all the dependencies. (Also, I can touch a file and mkdir a directory).

Nehal J Wani

Jul 30, 2017, 3:20:58 PM7/30/17
to Ariel Balter, conda - Public
Ariel,

Were you able to create a symbolic link or hard link to any file inside the directory: /home7/arielbal/test/conda  ?

Cheers!

Nehal J Wani