conda-forge discussions/questions + setuptools recipe

Floris Bruynooghe

Sep 21, 2016, 6:20:04 AM9/21/16
to conda
Hi,

Where's the appropriate place to ask questions about and discuss conda-forge?

And I'll include the question right away as well since it not strictly
conda-forge only: I'm trying to build a new version of setuptools but
am failing because conda automatically installs pip, which pulls in an
earlier version of setuptools itself and then conda-build doesn't
include the correct files.

So I went looking at how the setuptools-feedstock recipe from
conda-forge solves this, but can't figure it out. When I use
conda-forge packages to build the recipe local, it fails in the same
way as I explain above. However looking at the build-log on travis it
seems setuptools does *not* get installed into the build environment
there. How does that happen?

And secondly I'm confused by the conda-forge CI jobs, it seems travis
only runs OSX builds, but packages for linux64 are on the channel
anyway. What am I missing in the conda-forge setup for this?

Thanks,
Floris

Chris Barker

Sep 21, 2016, 4:06:44 PM9/21/16
to Floris Bruynooghe, conda
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Floris Bruynooghe <fl...@devork.be> wrote:
Where's the appropriate place to ask questions about and discuss conda-forge?

the conda-forge gitHub organization, via issues on repos, and the conda-forge mailing list:

And I'll include the question right away as well since it not strictly
conda-forge only:  I'm trying to build a new version of setuptools

is this a released version? if so, I"d wait for conda-forge, or post a PR to the coda forge feedstock for the upgrade.

So I went looking at how the setuptools-feedstock recipe from
conda-forge solves this, but can't figure it out.  When I use
conda-forge packages to build the recipe local, it fails in the same
way as I explain above.  However looking at the build-log on travis it
seems setuptools does *not* get installed into the build environment
there.  How does that happen

I'd post an issue with the question to the repo.

If you simply pull the recipe and built it on your machine, it doesn't work?

And secondly I'm confused by the conda-forge CI jobs, it seems travis
only runs OSX builds, but packages for linux64 are on the channel
anyway.  What am I missing in the conda-forge setup for this?

travis does OS-X, Circle-CI does Linux, and Appveyor does Windows.

(I think....)

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov