python 3.5 and cx_oracle

Anthony Bouttell

May 15, 2017, 5:49:05 PM5/15/17
to conda - Public
I'm trying to get the cx_oracle from pypi.python.org to work with anaconda.
The one I'm using is cx_Oracle-5.3-11g.win-amd64-py3.5-2.exe and is written for python 3.5, which is installed:

The installer works fine but when I run:

conda install -c anaconda cx_oracle=5.2

Conda seems to think I'm using the Anaconda version of cx_oracle, which was written for python 3.4:

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - cx_oracle -> python 3.4*
  - python 3.5*
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

 How can I get anaconda to recognize the newer version of cx_oracle?

Thanks in advance

Ian Stokes Rees

May 15, 2017, 9:50:12 PM5/15/17
to co...@continuum.io
Hi Anthony,

If you're using the PyPI version of cx_oracle then you should not run the conda command.  Basically you should choose one or the other for installing any given package: conda or pip.  Doing both (or starting with one and then switching to the other) can lead to problems.

In this case there is not (currently) any cx_oracle package for Windows past Python 3.4 (although we're hoping to fix that).  That is what the error message is telling you.

I'm in the process of working through some cx_oracle issues for Windows, Mac, and Linux and preparing a blog post that documents the steps to get it working.  I'm aiming to have 6.0b1 also available as a conda package, and a binary package for the Oracle Instant Client drivers as well.

But it will be a few weeks before I can wrap that work up.

I'm interested to know if there are other hurdles you face in getting *any* cx_oracle version to work with Anaconda.

Ian

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist, Product Marketing Manager
1.617.942.0218
ijst...@continuum.io
@ContinuumIO @ijstokes

Anaconda Powered By Continuum Analytics