Error: Could not find anaconda.org user data

Thomas DELECROIX

Mar 8, 2016, 2:14:48 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
Hi everyone,

I'm a noob in Python & Anaconda. I tried to install anaconda which I thought I succeeded... Unfortunately not really.
When I run Anaconda Launcher I have this

(Do you see that aweful message ? )

I have the same message in the terminal when I launch update ("conda update conda") :
Fetching package metadata: ....Error: Could not find anaconda.org user data

I google it but nothing came with that issue : Am I really the only one who have this problem or maybe I didn't give the good keywords...I don't know.

For information :

- mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

- Anaconda 3.5 Mac OS X 64-bit Graphical installer

- I add "- admin" in my .condarc file in the root of my "myName" folder (I tried it with some google results that look alike my problem)

As you see I'm in blur and once again, I'm new with this... I hope I was clear and thank you in advance. Sorry for my english writing (french you know...)

Eric Dill

Mar 8, 2016, 2:18:37 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
Hi Thomas,

What is the output of typing "conda info -a" in a terminal?

Best,

Eric

Thomas DELECROIX

Mar 8, 2016, 2:22:14 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
Hi Eric
"conda info -a" returns this :
-------

Using Anaconda Cloud api site https://api.anaconda.org

Current conda install:

             platform : osx-64

        conda version : 3.19.1

  conda-build version : 1.19.0

       python version : 3.5.1.final.0

     requests version : 2.9.1

     root environment : /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3  (writable)

  default environment : /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3

     envs directories : /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/envs

        package cache : /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/pkgs

         channel URLs : https://anaconda.org/ThomasDelecroix/dashboard/osx-64/

                        https://anaconda.org/ThomasDelecroix/dashboard/noarch/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/admin/osx-64/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/admin/noarch/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/numpy/osx-64/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/numpy/noarch/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/data/osx-64/

                        https://conda.anaconda.org/data/noarch/

                        https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/free/osx-64/

                        https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/free/noarch/

                        https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/pro/osx-64/

                        https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/pro/noarch/

          config file : /Users/thomasdelecroix/.condarc

    is foreign system : False

# conda environments:

#

root                  *  /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3

sys.version: 3.5.1 |Anaconda 2.5.0 (x86_64)| (default...

sys.prefix: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3

sys.executable: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/python3

conda location: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/lib/python3.5/site-packages/conda

conda-build: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-build

conda-convert: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-convert

conda-develop: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-develop

conda-env: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-env

conda-index: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-index

conda-inspect: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-inspect

conda-metapackage: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-metapackage

conda-pipbuild: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-pipbuild

conda-server: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-server

conda-sign: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-sign

conda-skeleton: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin/conda-skeleton

user site dirs:

CIO_TEST: <not set>

CONDA_DEFAULT_ENV: <not set>

CONDA_ENVS_PATH: <not set>

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: <not set>

PATH: /Users/thomasdelecroix/anaconda3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

PYTHONHOME: <not set>

PYTHONPATH: <not set>

WARNING: could not import _license.show_info

# try:

# $ conda install -n root _license

-----------

Thanks for your help.

Eric Dill

Mar 8, 2016, 2:29:12 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
Great, thanks.  I wanted to see where your condarc file is.  Can you post the contents of this file:

  config file : /Users/thomasdelecroix/.condarc

Thomas DELECROIX

Mar 8, 2016, 2:33:29 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
Edit:
I Googled "WARNING: could not import _license.show_info"
so I started to look after another version of python installed before.
I found python installed in my MAMP directory (I don't even know that).
Is that possible that Python version (2.7) of MAMP interfere with the Python version of Anaconda ?
In this case how I remove/replace Python's MAMP without put in danger my work with it ?
Message has been deleted

Thomas DELECROIX

Mar 8, 2016, 2:37:34 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
.condarc file :
channels:
- https://anaconda.org/ThomasDelecroix/dashboard
- admin
- numpy
- data
- defaults
I added "https://anaconda.org/ThomasDelecroix/dashboard" and "admin" after Googling...no success... stupid ? (the first one maybe... lol)

Eric Dill

Mar 8, 2016, 3:00:58 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
These channels serve as a place where `conda` looks for packages when you type `conda install PACKAGE_NAME`.  Each channel is expanded into a url that looks like: https://anaconda.org/CHANNEL, so the error that you were seeing

"Fetching package metadata: ....Error: Could not find anaconda.org user data"

is happening because https://anaconda.org/data does not exist.  Likewise, https://anaconda.org/admin is going to cause this error:

"Fetching package metadata: ....Error: Could not find anaconda.org user admin"

And so on.  I would suggest that your condarc should, at minimum, be trimmed to look like this:

channels:
- ThomasDelecroix
- defaults

Truthfully you can even get rid of "ThomasDelecroix" unless you plan on building conda packages and uploading them to your anaconda.org channel.

Also, the "WARNING: could not import _license.show_info" is unimportant. You can safely ignore that.

Hope this helps!

Thomas DELECROIX

Mar 8, 2016, 3:13:33 PM3/8/16
to conda - Public
And this is how, you saved me !
You're the one Eric !
Thanks again

Srikanthan Muthia Govindaraj

Jun 28, 2016, 12:43:16 AM6/28/16
to conda - Public
Dear Eric
I am having similar problem as Thomas.
I do not know how to edit .condarc file.
please help me

Sri

Eric Dill

Jun 28, 2016, 8:42:29 AM6/28/16
to conda - Public
Hi Sri,

Read that page and see if you still have questions afterwards.

Best,

Eric

Chamara Liyanage

Jan 9, 2018, 3:49:39 AM1/9/18
to conda - Public, thomas.delec...@gmail.com
Thanks for asked that issue ,because I had same thing and thanks for given explanation in solution. I was totally helpful for me. But in my case. I just added

channels:
- defaults

and it works well.