Sharing conda envs across VirtualBox

Adam Hughes

Oct 1, 2015, 10:50:24 AM10/1/15
to conda - Public
I have a windows 7 machine, which is running a guest ubuntu 15.04 MATE system through VirtualBox.  I have the virtual machine configured to share folders and directories bidirectionally across the platforms.  I have this pie in the sky dream that somehow, I can share a single python distribution back and forth between the two operating systems.  The windows machine has some enterprise software that only runs on Windows, and it has Python plugins.  However, I mostly develop Python from within a linux environment.  Thus, I would have to maintain two conda distributions.  It would be much simpler if I could just have one that is shared.

This seems perhaps possible because anaconda installs its virtual environments into a folder called C:\\Anaconda/envs.  I can share this folder with my linux distribution, and then put it in my bashrc file with Aliases to activate and deactivate to this shared folder.  However, because of the fundamental differences between windows python and linux python, I'm guessing this simply won't work.  What do you guys think?  I can't test it right now because I'm behind a proxy.  Do you think it is feasible?

Thanks

Carlos Córdoba

Oct 1, 2015, 12:08:25 PM10/1/15
to co...@continuum.io

Hi,

I don’t think this would work because Windows and Linux respective kernels can’t understand the other operating system executable file format natively.

That’s why you have Wine on Linux as an emulation layer for Windows apps. I don’t know if there’s something equivalent to run ELF files on Windows.

Cheers,
Carlos

El 01/10/15 a las 09:50, Adam Hughes escribió:

[...]

Adam Hughes

Oct 1, 2015, 5:01:13 PM10/1/15
to conda - Public
Ya, makes sense.