kerberos v. pykerberos packages

Skip Montanaro

Nov 8, 2017, 8:16:56 AM11/8/17
to conda - Public
I have an internal library which I'm wrapping for Conda. It uses
Kerberos, and in the call to setup, lists "kerberos" in its
install_requires list. THe kerberos package is available from PyPI,
and currently sits at version 1.2.5. The pykerberos package is
available from Anaconda, and currently sits at version 1.1.14. I
downloaded both from PyPI and poked around a bit. They do, in fact,
appear to be different versions of the same Apple-copyrighted code.
The pykerberos package has Apple copyright dates of 2013, while the
kerberos package has Apply copyright dates of 2016.

Given that Kerberos is involved in secure machine access, it would
seem that the later version might contain important bug fixes.
<rant>It also seems like the maintainers of the two closely related
packages should get their sh*t together and settle on a single code
base.</rant>

Thx,

Skip

Jonathan Helmus

Nov 8, 2017, 10:44:14 AM11/8/17
to co...@continuum.io
The pykerberos package looks to be a fork of the upstream Apple kerberos
package.  The project's [1] readme indicates that the kerberos
(currently version 1.2.5) should be used:

NOTE: this fork of ccs-kerberos is currently on life support mode as
Apple has resumed work on upstream. Please try to use
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/kerberos instead of this fork if possible.

Cheers,

    - Jonathan Helmus

[1] https://github.com/02strich/pykerberos

Skip Montanaro

Nov 8, 2017, 11:47:10 AM11/8/17
to Jonathan Helmus, conda - Public
Thanks. What are the chances that Conda can grow support for this
version? I'd try, but I continue to have problems with my Conda
configuration. I have no idea whether or not I'd be able to produce
anything workable.

Skip