dependency conflict reporting on update

Max Linke

Jan 17, 2017, 6:01:19 AM1/17/17
to conda - Public
Hi

I want to update my numpy installation from 1.11.3 to 1.12.0. I can see with conda-search that both versions are packaged
on conda-forge. But running `conda update numpy` tells me that numpy is up to date with version 1.11.3. I consider this an
error. It can be clearly seen in the conda search that 1.11.3 isn't the lastest available numpy version. Is there  a way that
update also tells me if there are dependency conflicts if a package can't be updated.

I assume that there is a dependency conflict since installing 1.12.0 in a new conda environment works and installing packages
depending on numpy results in conda trying to downgrade to 1.11.3.

best Max

Alexey Strokach

Jan 17, 2017, 11:16:49 AM1/17/17
to Max Linke, conda - Public
I think conda-forge packages are currently being build with support for numpy 1.11 and 1.12 only. For example, here is the linux build script for scipy: https://github.com/conda-forge/scipy-feedstock/blob/master/ci_support/run_docker_build.sh

I'm not sure when they will support numpy 1.13. I imagine it's not entirely straight forward, since all the build scripts would have to be changed and all the packages rebuilt.

Max Linke

Jan 17, 2017, 12:07:46 PM1/17/17
to Alexey Strokach, conda - Public

I'm aware that conda-forge packages are currently not build with the new numpy version. I don't like that conda doesn't report to me that some packages can't be upgraded due to dependency conflicts. It would be nicer if `conda-update` told me about conflicts with possible updates.