Scipy version issue

johndolan29

Sep 18, 2016, 8:39:37 PM9/18/16
to conda - Public
Hello,

My name is John and this is my first post to the group. I am having an issue with running PyKE (Pyraf - Kepler). I have installed python 2.7, and pyraf (3.4). However, when I try to run kepler in pyraf I get the following error:

--> kepler
/home/john/anaconda2/envs/astroconda1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:273: UserWarning: Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.
  warnings.warn('Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.')
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<CL script CL1>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<CL script clpackage.kepler>", line 59, in kepler
    iraf.pyexecute('kepler$keptransit.py', verbose = no, PkgName=PkgName,PkgBinary=PkgBinary)
  File "/home/john/anaconda2/envs/astroconda1/variants/common//iraf/kepler/keptransit.py", line 33, in <module>
    from scipy.optimize import leastsq, fmin, anneal
ImportError: cannot import name anneal

It appears that my current scipy version (0.18.0)  does not contain the "anneal" package. Is there a way to roll back scipy to 0.13.0 along with the scipy-dependant packages?

I would really appreciate your help on this,

Kind regards,
John

Ilan Schnell

Sep 18, 2016, 9:22:53 PM9/18/16
to johndolan29, conda - Public
Hello John,

you should be able to:
$ conda install scipy=0.13.0

However, this will also downgrade to an older numpy version.  I would recommend creating a new conda environment, as follows:
$ conda create -n oldscipy scipy=0.13.0 python=2.7

Here, 'oldscipy' is the name of the conda environment.

- Ilan

johndolan29

Sep 23, 2016, 10:48:32 AM9/23/16
to conda - Public, johnd...@gmail.com
Hi Ilan,

Apologies for my late reply. I have tried your suggestion, except I tried to create a new environment (astroconda2 instead of astroconda1) with the required scipy version, iraf, pyraf, and python 2.7 but I keep getting the same error:

(astroconda1) john@john-VirtualBox:~/anaconda2$ conda create -n astroconda2 scipy=0.13.0 python=2.7 iraf pyraf stsci
Fetching package metadata .........
Solving package specifications: ....

The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - pyraf -> numpy 1.10*|1.11*
  - pyraf -> python 3.4*|3.5*
  - scipy 0.13.0*
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

Any further ideas?
I´m new to all this so I don´t know how to proceed.
I really appreciate your help with this.

Kind regards,
John Dolan

Matt Craig

Sep 23, 2016, 8:02:54 PM9/23/16
to conda - Public, johndolan29, johnd...@gmail.com
Hi John,

I don't have a solution, but there are a couple other places to try asking, since this seems to involve the intersection of conda, astronomy and iraf:

Astroconda Google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/astroconda

Or maybe report it on the astroconda issue tracker:

https://github.com/astroconda/astroconda-contrib/issues

Or the python in astronomy Facebook group (which is a very high signal to noise ratio group):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/astropython

Thanks,
Matt Craig

Matt Craig