Multiple .condarc files?

Chris Barker

Mar 3, 2015, 12:41:19 PM3/3/15
to conda
I'm trying to set up a conda package building setup for building packages for others to use.

As such, I want to have a pretty trimmed down environment, with nothing extra in it, and, in particular, no extra binstar channels.

But it seems that I can only fully run conda-build with the root environment. So I installed miniconda in a new place, so I could have a nice clean, only-what-I-need setup for building. But it shares the same ~/.condarc file.

So it has all the same channels, etc that I have set up for my other work.

Is there a way to have multiple root environments, each with their OWN .condarc file?

-Thanks,
  -Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Aaron Meurer

Mar 3, 2015, 12:44:58 PM3/3/15
to Chris Barker, conda
Is http://conda.pydata.org/docs/admin.html what you are looking for?

Aaron Meurer

Bradley Kreider

Mar 3, 2015, 1:45:12 PM3/3/15
to co...@continuum.io, chris....@noaa.gov

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:44:58 PM UTC-5, Aaron Meurer wrote:
Is http://conda.pydata.org/docs/admin.html what you are looking for?

Aaron Meurer

I'm not sure that does what he wants.  It's a workaround for multiple miniconda installs, but the real problem is control over channels used for building.  This seems like a great feature for making the builds more repeatable.  You can't repeat a build unless you know how to get the build time requirements.  I had a very old issue in the conda repo, that never made it to the conda-build repo: https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/320

What about adding a "channels" key to the meta.yaml file that when used exactly defines the channels (except the conda-bld directory)?  I have no idea if that is a hard feature to implement, but it would make for cleaner building.

Cheers,

Bradley

Aaron Meurer

Mar 3, 2015, 2:40:00 PM3/3/15
to Bradley Kreider, conda, Chris Barker
At https://github.com/conda/conda-build/pull/334 I have added the
--channel flag to conda build.

Aaron Meurer

Chris Barker

Mar 3, 2015, 3:24:04 PM3/3/15
to Aaron Meurer, conda
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Aaron Meurer <aaron....@continuum.io> wrote:
Is http://conda.pydata.org/docs/admin.html what you are looking for?

Well, I suppose that could work -- I could set up a new user on my system just for doing this, but I was hoping to have a way to have an independent conda setup with teh same user.

Now that I think about, on my tightly controlled government system, I'm not sure I can create an arbitrary new user at all.

-Chris

Chris Barker

Mar 3, 2015, 3:26:46 PM3/3/15
to Aaron Meurer, Bradley Kreider, conda
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Aaron Meurer <aaron....@continuum.io> wrote:
At https://github.com/conda/conda-build/pull/334 I have added the
--channel flag to conda build.

Cool! that looks like it will take care of the issue at hand ith channels. But I think it would still be helpful to be able to have more than one root conda setup within one users's account.

Maybe conda could look for a condarc file next to itself first or something....

-Chris

Aaron Meurer

Mar 3, 2015, 4:26:31 PM3/3/15
to Chris Barker, Bradley Kreider, conda
I don't know if it helps, but you can also point conda to any condarc
file by setting the CONDARC environment variable.

Aaron Meurer

Chris Barker

Mar 3, 2015, 4:57:21 PM3/3/15
to conda
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Aaron Meurer <aaron....@continuum.io> wrote:
I don't know if it helps, but you can also point conda to any condarc
file by setting the CONDARC environment variable.

perfect! That should it.

Thanks,
 --Chris

Robert Mundkowsky

Oct 28, 2016, 3:17:35 PM10/28/16
to conda - Public, chris....@noaa.gov, bkre...@continuum.io, aaron....@continuum.io
Although CONDARC does work, the conda commands are not consistent.  For example, "conda config --file=/XXX/.condarc" yet "conda install --file=/XXX/requirements.txt". It is rather confusing and people end up looking for command line option to pass a different .condarc file to other conda commands.  Would be nice if other commands ( "conda install" ) supported a option like "--configfile=/XXX/.condarc".  Other thought would be remove " --file=/XXX/.condarc" from conda config and tell people to use CONDARC, but probably too late to do this now.