conda binstar - package groups

Sayth Renshaw

Aug 10, 2015, 1:12:54 AM8/10/15
to conda - Public
How do I create package groups in conda and binstar?

for example if I have a list I want to be able to reinstall or share with others can I create a package group name.
In the python book automate the boring stuff there is a list of 3rd party modules

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/appendixa/ most of which aren't in conda.

So I have uploaded all the ones not in conda to binstar.

I am thinking like yum you can create groups instead of typing bulk packages everytime.

I mean its a long list I wouldn't want to be typing this everytime.

pip install send2trash

  • pip install requests

  • pip install beautifulsoup4

  • pip install selenium

  • pip install openpyxl

  • pip install PyPDF2

  • pip install python-docx (install python-docx, not docx)

  • pip install imapclient

  • pip install pyzmail

  • pip install twilio

  • pip install pillow

  • pip install pyobjc-core (on OS X only)

  • pip install pyobjc (on OS X only)

  • pip install python3-xlib (on Linux only)

  • pip install pyautogui

Sayth

Dan Allan

Aug 10, 2015, 7:53:44 AM8/10/15
to Sayth Renshaw, conda - Public
What you want is called conda metapackages.

Sayth Renshaw

Aug 11, 2015, 6:21:54 AM8/11/15
to Dan Allan, conda - Public
Thanks so I am reading here http://conda.pydata.org/docs/commands/build/conda-metapackage.html

If i have it correct I would type

conda-metapackage mymetaname 0.1.0 package1 package2 package3 --summary 'package for book dependencies'
What I am not sure of though if those pacakges are in binstar but not conda do I have to specify anything different?
Or is this easier to do in a yaml file? If so is there a good example file to copy from?

Thanks
Sayth

Joshua Adelman

Aug 11, 2015, 6:41:25 AM8/11/15
to conda - Public
Hi Sayth,

For the metapackage I maintain, I’ve always just used a plain meta.yaml file with empty bld.bat and build.sh files. I’m not sure if the latter two files are actually necessary, but I just have them in the recipe. I like doing it this way because it allows me to version control the recipe in the same way I do for all of my other recipes. The meta.yaml file looks similar to any other recipe, only that it doesn’t have a build section. The ‘run’ section under requirements is all that is needed. For example:

package:
    name: blah-metapackage
    version: 0.9.1

build:
    number: 0

requirements:
    run:
        - numpy 1.9*
        - libpython # [win]
        - mingw # [win]
        - mysql-connector-python
        - rpy2

Then if this meta.yaml file lives in a directory called ‘blah-metapackage’, I just build the metapackage using `conda build blah-metapackage` from the directory containing ‘blah-metapackage’.
Hope that helps.

Josh

Sayth Renshaw

Aug 11, 2015, 6:44:12 AM8/11/15
to Joshua Adelman, conda - Public
Thanks Josh, yeah that definitely makes sense and looks more easy than doing it on the  command line.

Thanks

Sayth

Thomas Caswell

Aug 12, 2015, 9:22:44 AM8/12/15
to Sayth Renshaw, Joshua Adelman, conda - Public

I think Aaron said the command line interface is thre there basically as a debugging tool he was using when building the system out.

Going with the files is a much better idea.

Also look into conda-env (which i am not sure of the release state of, they are moving fast) which lets you specify a mix of conda and pip installed packages.

Tom

Chris Barker

Aug 12, 2015, 4:18:56 PM8/12/15
to Thomas Caswell, Sayth Renshaw, Joshua Adelman, conda - Public
why not just a conda_requirments.txt file?

specify what the requirements of a given project are, and then run:

conda install --file conda_requirements.txt

I suppose that doesn't let your user simply conda install the_project, but it does make it clear what's up, and it's the "standard" way of doing this with pip, too.

-CHB

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov