R version 3.3.2 (Sincere Pumpkin Patch)

Jeffrey J.

Nov 28, 2016, 7:41:13 PM11/28/16
to conda - Public
Is there any timeline for R version 3.3.2 (Sincere Pumpkin Patch) coming to conda?

When I install using "conda install -c r r" I get R version 3.3.1 (2016-06-21) -- "Bug in Your Hair".

Some of my users are using packages that are relying on the "latest" releases of R and when I try and build it manually it won't configure due to a libcurl/https/SSLv2 problem.

Thanks.

Jeff Anderson-Lee

Jeffrey J.

Nov 28, 2016, 7:45:41 PM11/28/16
to conda - Public
Oops. I see this is the wrong forum for this. How do I find who manages the "r" pakage?

Ray Donnelly

Nov 29, 2016, 6:11:41 AM11/29/16
to Jeffrey J., conda - Public
I build the R packages. I do not currently have any plans to build
3.3.2 because building the R infrastructure (>200 R packages) for all
5 OSes (32/64-bit for Linux/Widows + 64-bit for OSX) is a
*significant* effort, so I was planning to build R 3.4.0 next (when it
is released, of course!). We are working on automation so that in
future that effort is minimised.

Being a patch release, there should be no 'hard' compatibility issues.
I read the release notes here
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2016/000608.html and didn't
find much that strikes me as a breaking change (optimizations and new
optional parameters). If you have details of what packages rely on the
latest releases I can probably figure out how to remove that (probably
artificial) constraint and let you know.

If we cannot figure out a work around that you are happy with then
I'll bring it up at my next team meeting.