Pyfits package availability

Peter S.

Jan 5, 2018, 7:55:09 AM1/5/18
to conda - Public
Happy new year,

I need the pyfits package on my Python distribution (3.6 on Win 64bit) but conda does not find it. The package is indexed in the PyPI python repository but conda does not have it. What is the way to go? I tried it finally with pip but it showed the typical error - "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in C:\... - when there is no Cpp compiler.

Is there any precompiled version of it available? Thank you for helping me out here.

Cheers,
Peter

Joshua Adelman

Jan 5, 2018, 8:55:27 AM1/5/18
to Peter S., conda - Public
Hi Peter,

I’m not familiar with pyfits, but when I look on pypi.io, I see the message:

[DEPRECATED] Please use astropy.io.fits instead.

astropy is available through the default conda channel or via conda-forge. You should be able to just run `conda install astropy` and you’ll be all set.

Josh

Peter S.

Jan 5, 2018, 12:53:36 PM1/5/18
to conda - Public
Oh, I did not see this. Thank you, this package astropy does the job!

Can you tell me if pypi.io is the best place to check if a package is suggested or deprecated?

Peter

Paul Hobson

Jan 5, 2018, 12:56:44 PM1/5/18
to Peter S., conda - Public
Hey Peter,

There's not going to a single answer to that question. pypi.io is probably a good place to start, but you'll also want to the the project's home page, source code repository (if available), etc.
-p

John Patanian

Jan 5, 2018, 1:05:24 PM1/5/18
to conda - Public
My process on this is to first search on anaconda.org for pyfits :   https://anaconda.org/search?q=pyfits

Look at the availability of the package and I generally try  the one with the most downloads first.

If that does not work, I go through the process of building my own conda package with conda skeleton : https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tutorials/build-pkgs-skeleton.html

Best Regards and Good Luck!

John Patanian

Joshua Adelman

Jan 5, 2018, 1:09:52 PM1/5/18
to John Patanian, conda - Public
I would just mention that if a package isn’t available in the default channel or on conda-forge and you’re going to put in the effort to create a conda package for it, you should consider submitting it to conda-forge rather than a personal channel:

This has the benefit of ensuring that the recipe gets community review and is built automatically on a bunch of different platforms.

Josh