Atom library dependencies ?

Johan Mutsaerts

Nov 12, 2016, 8:18:40 AM11/12/16
to conda - Public
Hi,

Installed full Anaconda 4.2.0 fine. Need to get Atom.io 1.10.x running as my Python IDE : no package available through conda for atom ?
Extractted atom-amd64.tar.gz into /usr/local/atom. Launching ./atom returns error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
conda install -c mw gtk2 installed fine but error remains. Can anyone help me out ?

Has anyone gotten Atom 1.10.x running on Linux 64-bit (ChromeOS Developer Mode > crosh > shell) ? How ?

TIA & BR,
Johan

Paul Hobson

Nov 12, 2016, 9:21:55 PM11/12/16
to Johan Mutsaerts, conda - Public
I don't think this has anything to do with Anaconda

From your description, I don't think you followed all of the steps here:

Johan Mutsaerts

Nov 13, 2016, 4:38:49 PM11/13/16
to conda - Public
Well, perhaps but I'm not sure if (Ana)conda or other (Ana)conda users could not offer a solution to my challenge : I am looking for a modern code editor with python productivity features (syntax highlighting, auto-complete ...) that works in text-mode (terminal window) on ChromeOS (restricted Gentoo Linux 64-bit).

I did read through the atom.io flight manual and concluded that there is no way I can install it on a ChromeOS without package installer. I'm not sure even if Atom works in text-mode or could run in a browser-tab at all ?
Anaconda (conda) however delivers a package installer that works on ChromeOS (Developer Mode) and allows Chromebook local development with Python and it's ecosystem without having to chroot into a  separate linux distro. Without Atom I believe I have to use a typical text-mode editor like vi/vim (which is available through conda). Not saying this is a necessarily a bad thing, but the learning curve to productivity is steeper than what I hear from Atom (or any more recently developed code editor/IDE). I just want to benefit from all the productivity features offered by newer code editors and believe that Atom currently has an edge over its alternatives.

Any other Chromebook developers out here that use Anaconda together with something else than vi/vim as their (Python) code editor without having to install a chroot ?

Anthony Scopatz

Nov 13, 2016, 11:03:49 PM11/13/16
to Johan Mutsaerts, conda - Public
Hello Johan,

For what it is worth, I developed on ChromeOS up until recently, and I wrote a little text editor called "xo" in python http://exofrills.org/ that worked just fine in the native terminal.  There is a conda-forge package for it.

$ conda install -c conda-forge xo

Feel free to put in a PR with more features.

Be Well
Anthony

Asst. Prof. Anthony Scopatz
Nuclear Engineering Program
Mechanical Engineering Dept.
University of South Carolina
Affiliated Professor of the University of Haifa
sco...@cec.sc.edu
Office: (803) 777-9334
Cell: (512) 827-8239
Office: Horizon 1, #011 (ground floor, not first)
Book a meeting with me at https://scopatz.youcanbook.me/
Check my calendar