PySide heads up

Toke Jepsen

Sep 21, 2016, 5:27:23 AM9/21/16
to conda - Public
Hey,

I recently got into trouble when using PySide from; https://anaconda.org/anaconda/pyside

It simply stopped working a couple of days ago, and the reason is because Qt has uploaded a major version 5.6.0 which PySide is not compliant with.
It does seem that the PySide package should be requiring Qt 4.7.4, but it still seems to install the latest version of Qt, meaning 5.6.0.

For anyone having using PySide, make sure you install Qt 4.x.x first so PySide does install Qt 5.x.x for you. Here is an example:

conda install -c anaconda qt=4.8.7 -y
conda install -c anaconda pyside -y

Venlig Hilsen / Sincerely,

Toke Jepsen

Ilan Schnell

Sep 21, 2016, 5:33:43 AM9/21/16
to Toke Jepsen, conda - Public
Hi Toke,

thanks for the heads up.  We switched from PySide to PyQt over two years ago, and no longer support it (that is we no longer apply patches or update PySide).  However, it will be an easy fix to make PySide always depend on qt 4.8.7.

Thanks   Ilan

Toke Jepsen

Sep 21, 2016, 5:40:27 AM9/21/16
to Ilan Schnell, conda - Public
Ahh, that is good to know:)

I can actually use either with https://github.com/mottosso/Qt.py, so I'll have a look at switching to PyQt.

Ilan Schnell

Sep 21, 2016, 6:03:55 PM9/21/16
to Toke Jepsen, conda - Public
I just added the missing qt version dependencies to the PySide packages.

Toke Jepsen

Sep 21, 2016, 7:19:10 PM9/21/16
to Ilan Schnell, conda - Public
Cool, does that mean we don't have to preinstall the correct version of qt?

Ilan Schnell

Sep 21, 2016, 7:21:12 PM9/21/16
to Toke Jepsen, conda - Public
Yes, you can, e.g.:
$ conda create -n foo pyside

And now (unlike before) you will get the correct version of Qt.

- Ilan

Toke Jepsen

Sep 22, 2016, 3:59:19 AM9/22/16
to Ilan Schnell, conda - Public
Excellent, thanks Ilan! Tested and working here.

Still going to switch to PyQt, as you guys are using it:)