*** glibc detected *** /ment_arch/pscheff/miniconda2/bin/python: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0000000001f12790 ***

Phillip S.

Nov 6, 2017, 6:10:52 AM11/6/17
to conda - Public
Hello everyone!

This is the first time I am using this mailing list, so please excuse me if this is not the right place to ask. I am fairly new to python. Recently I have been experiencing an extremely persistent problem when using miniconda. Whenever I try to plot anything using matplotlib Python crashes with the following message:

*** glibc detected *** /ment_arch/pscheff/miniconda2/bin/python: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0000000001f12790 ***

That happens for instance when I use fig=plt.figure() or fig=plt.axe() for the first time. Using ipython, the same error occurs already when I import matplotlib.pyplot. I have tried to reinstall miniconda, I tried to downgrade/upgrade my python version and my matplotlib version. Currently I am using

python 2.7.11
matplotlib 2.0.2 (with numpy 1.13.0)
glibc 2.13 (installed, I have no control over this one, it seems to work fine for everyone else)

The odd thing is that this used to work just two weeks ago and hasn't been working ever since. I don't know what changed, it is well possible that I did something that I simply don't remember. The machine is a remote server I am using at work, so I have no root access. I am completely out of ideas and I have wasted hours trying to re-install miniconda or installing different versions of matplotlib/python. Since it used to work with the above mentioned versions I would like to keep those.

By the way, the error crashes python so badly that I have to use pkill or top from another terminal to stop it. I have tried debugging my script using pdb, but even then the crash is so bad that it takes pdb with it and I have to cancel it from another terminal. How do I best go about solving such a problem?

Best regards,
Phillip

P.S.: Here is how I can reproduce the error on that specific computer:

Download and install miniconda Linux 64 bit

conda install -c conda-forge matplotlib
conda install -c conda-forge ipython

Start up ipython

import matplotlib.pyplot

Ray Donnelly

Nov 6, 2017, 6:33:13 AM11/6/17
to Phillip S., conda - Public
Can you try without using conda-forge here. If it works with the software on defaults then you need to report this to conda-forge.