Help Spyder crashes continuously while trying to access variable explorer

Michael Wallace

Dec 3, 2014, 12:17:07 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Hello

Please Help I have a Windows 7 pro computer running anaconda 64 bit. I really love spyder's interface, but the variable explorer does not work for me. All I do is click on the tab to show variables and windows sits and spins forever. Spyder basically crashes when I click on the tab for the variable explorer and I have to shut it down. I really like being able to quickly inspect my data and figure out what format it is in.

It is critical that I get this problem solved as I am developing some code for a new workflow, and it is hard to check my work without the variable explorer. I have even looked at switching to a new IDE, but from reviews I have seen I am not encouraged by the competition. http://xcorr.net/2013/04/17/evaluating-ides-for-scientific-python/

Sincerely,

Michael Wallace, PGP

Matt Thornell

Dec 3, 2014, 1:28:56 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Maybe try updating Spyder? Or force updating Spyder? (conda install spyder -f).

Maybe Carlos (Spyder dev) can help out here on this list.

~Matt T.

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 3, 2014, 1:32:43 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi Michael,

Spyder dev here. Sorry to hear that you're having these annoyances. What's the data you're inspecting through our Variable Explorer? If it's a Dataframe, then I have to tell you there is a bug that crashes Spyder for certain Dataframes (just the ones whose columns are not string vars).

Unfortunately this bug went unnoticed in 2.3.1 but it'll be fixed in 2.3.2 (which I plan to release this afternoon).

Cheers,
Carlos

Michael Wallace

Dec 3, 2014, 3:38:38 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io, ccord...@gmail.com
Yes the data frame has strings in it. I need to parse the string and then export the whole dataframe to excel. If your going to release a new version of spyder then I will just wait for it too come out.

Thank you Carlos and Matt for your quick responses

Michael

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 3, 2014, 3:41:22 PM12/3/14
to Michael Wallace, anac...@continuum.io
I just released 2.3.2. I think in a couple of days Continuum guys will update Spyder in Anaconda.

Cheers,
Carlos

Ilan Schnell

Dec 3, 2014, 3:47:48 PM12/3/14
to Anaconda, Michael Wallace
Hi Carlos,
as this appears to be an important update, I'm updating to spyder 2.3.2 right now.  New conda packages should be available later this afternoon.

- Ilan

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 3, 2014, 3:55:53 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Thanks a lot for the quick response Ilan. Yes, it's an important bugfix release and also improves browsing speed for big Dataframes.

Cheers,
Carlos

Michael Wallace

Dec 3, 2014, 7:00:17 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
I installed the new version of spyder and 4 other packages. When I went to run spyder I got the error you see in the attached screenshot. I cannot open Spyder at all.

In an unrelated matter how do I download and install the conda package of fatiando. The pip package does not install, but I would really like to use this package if possible on Windows.

Sincerely

Michael Wallace, PGP
spyder_error.png

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 3, 2014, 7:18:33 PM12/3/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Before doing a "conda update" you need to be sure to close Spyder and every other Python program that is running.

To fix this problem you need to execute this command:

    conda install -f pyzmq

Cheers,
Carlos

Matt Thornell

Dec 4, 2014, 10:52:58 AM12/4/14
to anac...@continuum.io
I would check binstar.org for a fatiando conda package.

Michael Wallace

Dec 4, 2014, 1:05:19 PM12/4/14
to anac...@continuum.io, Carlos Córdoba
Thanks Carlos Matt and all the Continuum team for the very quick response.

I was able to update spyder and get into the variable explorer with a Data Frame that contained strings. The Variable Explore is working well now and I do see some speed up in the interface which is much appreciated.

I had to uninstall all of Anaconda and then reinstall it because I tried using conda to revert back to the previous versions of spyder and pyzmq and two other packages; however, when I updated again by installing pyzmq first and then upgrading spyder, I received the same error message about pyzmq.

I noticed when I uninstalled Anaconda and then subsequently reinstalled it that USER\username\Local\Appdata\Continuum folder still had files in it and had not been removed.  The installer asked me to make a new folder but I deleted this folder and continued with the install. I don't know if this is a glitch in the installer process, but it was annoying to me as I figured uninstalling would remove everything pertinent.

Sincerely,

Michael Wallace, PGP

Michael Wallace

Dec 22, 2014, 5:55:06 PM12/22/14
to anac...@continuum.io, Carlos Córdoba
I renamed columns  df.columns=['list of columns']
I then went to the variable explorer and clicked on the dataframe and received the following error.

Spyder Internal Console

This console is used to report application
internal errors and to inspect Spyder
internals with the following commands:
  spy.app, spy.window, dir(spy)

Please don't use it to run your code

>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\widgets\dicteditor.py", line 422, in createEditor
    if not editor.setup_and_check(value):
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\widgets\dataframeeditor.py", line 432, in setup_and_check
    self.dataModel = DataFrameModel(data, parent=self)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\widgets\dataframeeditor.py", line 82, in __init__
    self.max_min_col_update()
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\widgets\dataframeeditor.py", line 104, in max_min_col_update
    df_abs = self.df[self.complex_intran].abs()
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\frame.py", line 1674, in __getitem__
    return self._getitem_frame(key)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\frame.py", line 1747, in _getitem_frame
    return self.where(key)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\generic.py", line 3244, in where
    try_cast=try_cast)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\internals.py", line 2210, in where
    return self.apply('where', **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\internals.py", line 2190, in apply
    copy=align_copy)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\frame.py", line 2297, in reindex_axis
    fill_value=fill_value)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\generic.py", line 1707, in reindex_axis
    limit=limit, copy=copy)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\generic.py", line 1731, in _reindex_with_indexers
    copy=copy)
  File "C:\Users\mwallace\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\internals.py", line 2856, in reindex_indexer
    raise ValueError("cannot reindex from a duplicate axis")
ValueError: cannot reindex from a duplicate axis

Sincerely,

Michael Wallace, PGP

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 23, 2014, 9:15:08 AM12/23/14
to Michael Wallace, anac...@continuum.io
Hi Michael,

Could you post an example df so I cant test it on my side?

Cheers,
Carlos

kap...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 5:29:29 PM7/2/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi Carlos,

I've encountered problem very similar to Michaels.
My setup is:
platform : osx-64
        conda version : 3.14.1
  conda-build version : 1.8.2
       python version : 2.7.10.final.0
     requests version : 2.7.0
I'm running Spyder-app 2.3.5.2 (love it! despite this bug)
I've found that reason of this behaviour is BOM gibberish (exactly: '\xef\xbb\xbf') that appears at beginning of first column name. It is invisible for df.columns but appears when I call df.columns[0]. For some reason pd.read_csv() doesn't strip this.

I hope this helps to solve problem :)
My workaround is always check name using df.columns[0] & changing it before using Variable explorer

Cheers!
kapoost

Carlos Córdoba

Jul 2, 2015, 5:32:32 PM7/2/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

What you've found is very important to solve this problem. Could you open an issue in our issue tracker:

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues

with this information and your current solution? The thing is we should apply it on Spyder side to fix this problem for all people :-)

Thanks,
Carlos

gelvez...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 12:18:50 PM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi all,

I just want to inform about a bug. It seems that spyder chrashes when pandas loads names that have white spaces. How do inform this?

Kind Regards,

Carlos Córdoba

Jul 16, 2015, 9:47:13 AM7/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

Please report it here

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues

Cheers,
Carlos

David Gelvez

Jul 16, 2015, 11:07:38 AM7/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io
I'll do. Thanks in advance. Further, I have to report that after updating sypder crashes constantly,  and its quite slow in relation to the previous version.

I'm using a Windows 7 64 bits virtual machine. I downloaded the latest version through anaconda.

Thanks in advance,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.