conda update generating InsecurePlatformWarning from urllib3

lske...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2015, 9:00:38 PM3/28/15
to anac...@continuum.io
After a recent update, performing conda updates started generating the following messages:

C:\Users\larry\Documents\My Docs from Dell Laptop\Downloads\enigma>conda update python
Fetching package metadata: C:\Anaconda\lib\site-packages\requests\packages\urllib3\util\ssl_.py:79: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#insecureplatformwarning.

InsecurePlatformWarning
[...]

Solving package specifications: .
# All requested packages already installed.
# packages in environment at C:\Anaconda:
#
python
2.7.8                         0

This is on a win-32 installation of anaconda running on windows 8.1. Why is this occurring and how can I fix it?

Ilan Schnell

Mar 28, 2015, 10:01:37 PM3/28/15
to Anaconda
The warning can be avoided by updating python to 2.7.9.  However, on Windows, it is currently not possible to update the Python in the root environment, because if the Windows file lock.  The only way to update the Python in the conda root environment is currently by reinstalling Miniconda: http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html
We are working on a method to allow updating Python in the root environment, but this will require more testing, as it could easily corrupt the users system, see: https://github.com/conda/conda/pull/1133
If you like, you can test this git branch and let us know if the update worked for you.

Thanks   Ilan

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

R.3volv3.R cool

Mar 29, 2015, 1:57:15 PM3/29/15
to anac...@continuum.io
nice info  @ilan Schnell .. i has update to python 2.7.9 with miniconda..  and sucessfull..  but it will upgrade manual again for module... but no matter.. thanks..

lske...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2015, 10:35:28 PM3/29/15
to anac...@continuum.io, lske...@gmail.com
I read your response, Llan, but I'm afraid I don't understand it. Could you explain what the "Windows file lock" is and what the root environment is? Further how do these things prevent updating to 2.7.9. I updated to 2.7.8 from an earlier version without any issues. Why is this different.  Also, why is 2.7.9 required to silence these warning messages?

Thanks.

Larry

R.3volv3.R cool

Mar 30, 2015, 12:06:08 AM3/30/15
to anac...@continuum.io

For the silent that warning, maybe you need to read python 2.7.9 changelog..

jjack...@onemedical.com

Mar 31, 2015, 1:30:57 AM3/31/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi there,

I was wondering if you had any best practices for where in a windows directory to install Miniconda to fix the urllib3 issues mentioned above?  I have Anaconda installed at: C:\Users\jj\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda and install Miniconda at:C:\Users\jj\AppData\Local\Continuum\Miniconda, and I am not able to run ipython notebook or update conda (via conda update conda) when in the Anaconda directory.  Any assistance or direction is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Jeff

jjack...@onemedical.com

Mar 31, 2015, 4:40:09 PM3/31/15
to anac...@continuum.io, jjack...@onemedical.com
Update: I resolved my specific issue; however, still interested in thoughts on best practices ( Windows specific) on where to save Anaconda in relation to MiniConda.

Best

Jeff