conda_update_pandas VS conda_update_anaconda

Dimitrios Chryssanthakopoulos

Feb 21, 2015, 6:23:57 AM2/21/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi All,

When I run "conda update anaconda" for my "condapy33" environment with anaconda python 3.3 or for my default anaconda python 3.4 environment I get a reply that all is up-to-date.

When I run "conda update pandas" in either of the above environments I get the option to proceed with specific upgrades for pandas, numpy etc.

Why the different treatment?

Thanks and Regards,

Dimitrios

JohnE

Feb 21, 2015, 10:48:55 AM2/21/15
to anac...@continuum.io
I'm not a continuum employee, but I believe that anaconda is updated much less frequently than the individual packages.  Presumably it's because anaconda has everything so it wouldn't be a good idea to update it every time a package is updated -- if you just care about pandas you don't want a problem because of an issue with some other recently updated package that you aren't even using.  I'm also guessing the anaconda distribution might have a bias towards stable and/or older releases vs development and/or brand new releases of packages.

I believe the latest anaconda file is timestamped from Nov or Oct of 2014 and there are several updates to pandas since then.  Anyway, I think nothing is wrong and you're doing it exactly right.  Just type "conda update pandas" if you want the latest pandas.  This way also gives you the freedom to specifically choose between, say, 15.0 vs 15.1 vs 15.2 which might be useful if you hit some specific pandas bug.

Ilan Schnell

Feb 21, 2015, 1:13:00 PM2/21/15
to Anaconda
Hello,
yes, Anaconda is updated about half a year, whereas individual packages (such as pandas) are updated much more frequently.  Also, we make all packages as compatible as possible when we release Anaconda.  There have been several pandas release since the last Anaconda release, and it is OK to just "conda update pandas".

Regards   Ilan

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Dimitrios Chryssanthakopoulos

Feb 26, 2015, 9:01:19 AM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io