Spyder Installation Broken

noide...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 11:11:30 AM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public
Hi,

My Spyder installation broke recently. I'm pretty sure the cause is when I changed from Avast Antivirus+Commodo Firewall to Windows Defender only. I already uninstalled and reinstalled Anaconda. Jupyter works fine. When I use the
spyder --show-console

command, I get "Assertion failed: Socket operation on non-socket (bundled\zeromq\src\select.cpp:185)". I can see the splash screen but it gets stuck on the "loading editor" part. If it helps, I have also have IDLE installed from the time before I knew spyder existed and its error message is that it cant connect to a subprocess or that a firewall is blocking it. Both worked fine before spyder broke. I'm on Windows 10.

Let me know if you need anything else to help fix my problem,
Thanks!

Ian Stokes Rees

Oct 18, 2017, 11:27:44 AM10/18/17
to anac...@continuum.io, noide...@gmail.com
Check out this blog post:

https://www.anaconda.com/blog/developer-blog/what-to-do-when-things-go-wrong-in-anaconda

In particular you may want to jump straight to the "Force a Package Reinstall" step at the end.

Let us know if that solves the problem or not.

noide...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 2:04:05 PM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, noide...@gmail.com
That didn't fix the problem. Went through the entire page. I still get "Assertion failed: Socket operation on non-socket (bundled\zeromq\src\select.cpp:185)" with the show-console command.

Will Warner

Oct 18, 2017, 2:42:52 PM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, noide...@gmail.com
I tried this Google search:

spyder socket operation on non-socket

It looks like a few people have run into this problem when changing firewalls. It appears that at least one person fixed it by running "conda install pyzmq".

noide...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 3:12:46 PM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, noide...@gmail.com
Unfortunatly, that also didn't fix it. Although I tried the same Google search as you did and came to this article: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/5339
It suggests that the problem isnt with spyder. Do you think it is the case here as well?

Will Warner

Oct 18, 2017, 3:26:40 PM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, noide...@gmail.com
It is starting to look like Spyder requires socket connections, and Windows Defender blocks socket connections. If you disable Windows Defender for a minute and try Spyder, does it work?

You might be able to go back to Avast/Comodo, or change the settings in Windows Defender to allow Spyder to work.

I would definitely make an issue at https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues and see if the Spyder developers have any ideas. There might also be a Windows Defender help forum that would know.

noide...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 3:49:45 PM10/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, noide...@gmail.com
Disabling Windows Defender and opening Spyder causes the same problem. What's more annoying is that I have the exact same setup on another computer but nothing broke there. I remember getting a Defender pop-up but nothing more troubling. I'll make an issue with the Spyder devs in a bit. I'm starting to get convinced its a Defender issue. Thanks for trying.

JK

Oct 19, 2017, 9:14:29 AM10/19/17
to anac...@continuum.io
On a terminal (Anaconda prompt) the command conda help works as it should.

conda install -h also,
but a variant, e.g., :

conda help install

... produces:
C:\Anaconda3\python.exe: can't open file 'C:\Anaconda3\Scripts\conda': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

The Info says

Current conda install:
    platform : win-64   conda version : 4.3.30
    conda is private : False   conda-env version : 4.3.30
    conda-build version : 3.0.22   python version : 3.6.3.final.0
    requests version : 2.18.4     root environment : C:\Anaconda3  (writable)

The syntax "help install" seems wrong, or what...  But it works on Ubuntu!

But telling me that Python cannot find conda is surprising... Does this reaction means that 'somebody there'  thinks that my system is Unix-like?
Of course, under Windows I have conda.exe,  not just "conda".

Jerzy K.

Michael Sarahan

Oct 19, 2017, 9:29:54 AM10/19/17
to anac...@continuum.io
That's a bug in conda's implementation of that help command, I think.  On Windows, scripts and entry points are much more complicated than on Unix.  The file on unix is just bin/conda, but on windows there is:

conda-script.py
conda.exe

conda.exe is a simple executable (originally from distutils, I think) that goes looking for a file named conda-script.py, and uses python to run it.  The bug here is that conda help somehow still thinks it should look for conda (as a python file), when really it should be looking for conda-script, or instead calling the conda.exe file as a subprocess, rather than trying to run it as a python script.

Please file an issue on the conda github tracker, and we'll try to look into it soon.

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---