Errors when opening Jupyter

Claude Geller

Apr 20, 2018, 10:50:31 AM4/20/18
to Anaconda - Public
Hi -

Completely new to Python.  Fresh install on Windows 10 to two computers.  One works fine - but the other produces the following error when I open Jupyter from the Anaconda Navigator.

I can simply click "OK" to the pop-up window which reports this and open/read what ever I'm doing.  Just don't want this problem to haunt me later.  All of this info is above my pay grade and I have no clue as to where to start.

Thanks!

[I 10:42:53.660 NotebookApp] The port 8888 is already in use, trying another port.
[I 10:42:53.661 NotebookApp] The port 8889 is already in use, trying another port.
[I 10:42:53.662 NotebookApp] The port 8890 is already in use, trying another port.
[I 10:42:53.792 NotebookApp] JupyterLab beta preview extension loaded from C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab
[I 10:42:53.792 NotebookApp] JupyterLab application directory is C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\share\jupyter\lab
[W 10:42:53.814 NotebookApp] Error loading server extension jupyterlab
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\commands.py", line 321, in __init__
self._run(['node', 'node-version-check.js'], cwd=HERE, quiet=True)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\commands.py", line 1165, in _run
proc = Process(cmd, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\process.py", line 73, in __init__
self.proc = self._create_process(cwd=cwd, env=env)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\process.py", line 131, in _create_process
cmd[0] = which(cmd[0], kwargs.get('env'))
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\jlpmapp.py", line 59, in which
raise ValueError(msg)
ValueError: Please install nodejs 5+ and npm before continuing installation. nodejs may be installed using conda or directly from the nodejs website.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\notebook\notebookapp.py", line 1454, in init_server_extensions
func(self)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\extension.py", line 111, in load_jupyter_server_extension
info = get_app_info(app_dir)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\commands.py", line 244, in get_app_info
handler = _AppHandler(app_dir, logger)
File "C:\Users\Chuck\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\commands.py", line 324, in __init__
raise ValueError(msg)
ValueError: Please install nodejs 5+ and npm before continuing installation. nodejs may be installed using conda or directly from the nodejs website.
[I 10:42:54.663 NotebookApp] Serving notebooks from local directory: C:\Users\Chuck
[I 10:42:54.663 NotebookApp] 0 active kernels
[I 10:42:54.663 NotebookApp] The Jupyter Notebook is running at:
[I 10:42:54.663 NotebookApp] http://localhost:8891/?token=db90f7f7ee3d62362e27f909c9b5954f2862c72313140b99
[I 10:42:54.663 NotebookApp] Use Control-C to stop this server and shut down all kernels (twice to skip confirmation).
[C 10:42:54.667 NotebookApp]

Copy/paste this URL into your browser when you connect for the first time,
to login with a token:
http://localhost:8891/?token=db90f7f7ee3d62362e27f909c9b5954f2862c72313140b99
[I 10:42:55.445 NotebookApp] Accepting one-time-token-authenticated connection from ::1

Claude Geller

Apr 20, 2018, 12:45:28 PM4/20/18
to anac...@continuum.io
Just to further add.... this problem happens when EITHER Firefox or Chrome is set as the default browser.

When I open Jupyter from it's own icon (NOT through Navigator) i get the same error - but it's in a small terminal window and not as a GUI pop-up.

Thanks

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

Claude Geller

Apr 20, 2018, 2:11:24 PM4/20/18
to anac...@continuum.io
I just completed uninstalling and reinstalling.  Same problem.....

Will Warner

Apr 20, 2018, 5:07:35 PM4/20/18
to Anaconda - Public
It is safe to ignore this error.

If you do want to solve it, try running the command "conda install nodejs" and then running Jupyter again.

I am a little surprised this happened on one machine and not on the other. I don't know why that would happen.

Claude Geller

Apr 20, 2018, 5:20:42 PM4/20/18
to anac...@continuum.io
YOU Sir - are a genius.  I did what you said - and it worked.  THANK YOU.

The installation was weird on this PC.  Towards the very end, it seemed to take forever. I used "Process Explorer" to examine what was going on - and the installation was "Suspended".  I selected "Resume" - and the installation finished.  Not sure of that had anything to o with it - but wanted to let you know regardless. This happened again during the second installation after removing the initial install......  All anti-whatever was turned off.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Will Warner

Apr 20, 2018, 5:33:20 PM4/20/18
to Anaconda - Public
Thank you for telling us about that. The team that works on the installer may know of a connection between the suspended installer and the nodejs error.

You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked, and I hope you have a great weekend too!

Ken Mayer

Apr 24, 2018, 11:15:32 PM4/24/18
to Anaconda - Public
Yes, I had the same problem and someone notified me of this post.  Thank you, Will!  I tried everything!

mtripk...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2018, 8:31:45 AM4/25/18
to Anaconda - Public
Hi. I can almost completely relate to the case (reinstalling and all) with just opening syder:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\asyncio\__init__.py", line 16, in
from . import _overlapped
ImportError: cannot import name '_overlapped'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\Scripts\spyder-script.py", line 10, in
sys.exit(main())
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder\app\start.py", line 145, in main
from spyder.app import mainwindow
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder\app\mainwindow.py", line 69, in
import rope.base.project # analysis:ignore
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\project.py", line 9, in
from rope.base import exceptions, taskhandle, prefs, history, pycore, utils
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\pycore.py", line 6, in
import rope.base.libutils
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\libutils.py", line 6, in
from rope.base import pyobjectsdef
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\pyobjectsdef.py", line 5, in
import rope.base.oi.soi
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\oi\soi.py", line 11, in
from rope.base.oi.type_hinting.factory import get_type_hinting_factory
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\oi\type_hinting\factory.py", line 2, in
from rope.base.oi.type_hinting.providers import (
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\rope\base\oi\type_hinting\providers\numpydocstrings.py", line 11, in
from numpydoc.docscrape import NumpyDocString
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\numpydoc\__init__.py", line 5, in
from .numpydoc import setup
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\numpydoc\numpydoc.py", line 31, in
from .docscrape_sphinx import get_doc_object, SphinxDocString
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\numpydoc\docscrape_sphinx.py", line 11, in
from jinja2 import FileSystemLoader
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jinja2\__init__.py", line 82, in
_patch_async()
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jinja2\__init__.py", line 78, in _patch_async
from jinja2.asyncsupport import patch_all
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jinja2\asyncsupport.py", line 13, in
import asyncio
File "C:\Users\Marko Kraljevic\Anaconda3\lib\asyncio\__init__.py", line 18, in
import _overlapped # Will also be exported.
OSError: [WinError 0] The operation completed successfully

Can anyone please advise how to open it?

Thanks

Will Warner

May 3, 2018, 5:33:20 PM5/3/18
to Anaconda - Public
This Spyder error (ImportError: cannot import name '_overlapped') is not related to the nodejs error.

I'm not sure why the ImportError is happening. You may want to look into these Spyder resources:

22966...@qq.com

May 8, 2018, 9:33:50 AM5/8/18
to Anaconda - Public
hi ,i have the same problem,but i have a question,i see the code prompt is not finished.should i close the prompt box directly and reopen it ?

在 2018年4月20日星期五 UTC+8下午10:50:31,Claude Geller写道:

Will Warner

May 9, 2018, 11:58:04 AM5/9/18
to Anaconda - Public
When Jupyter runs, the terminal window shows these Jupyter startup messages and does not show a prompt, and you can open Jupyter in a browser tab and use it.

When you are done using Jupyter, save your notebook file, close the browser tab, go to the terminal window, press control-c to shut down Jupyter, press y to confirm, and the prompt will show again.

Zombie Drill

May 9, 2018, 12:23:14 PM5/9/18
to anac...@continuum.io
Yea I would NOT recommend using anaconda it's broke, fixed it, broke again. So I download an installed the individual apps I wanted from it. First try installed no problems. All of them work and i have been using them for a month. Oddly enuff there web pages all say "we recommend installing anaconda" but that's a load of shit. Just some PR bs  I use Linux mint btw

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

Pete R Jemian

May 9, 2018, 12:59:52 PM5/9/18
to anac...@continuum.io
Zombie Drill:

I use Linux Mint now and find your complaints very offensive. Please
say something constructive or remain quiet.

Regards,
Pete
> <mailto:anaconda+u...@continuum.io>.
> <mailto:anac...@continuum.io>.
> --
> Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
> ---

Apoorva

May 9, 2019, 2:36:42 PM5/9/19
to Anaconda - Public, wwa...@anaconda.com
Sir, the error continues to bother me even after installing nodejs package. Can you please suggest something else?