PyQt5 support in Anaconda

Kai Wiechen

Dec 18, 2015, 12:20:30 PM12/18/15
to Anaconda - Public
Hi,

Qt4 support will cease at the end of his year and Qt5 is out for some time. Is it planned to support Qt5/PyQt5 in Anaconda in the near future?

Regards,

Kai

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 18, 2015, 12:46:32 PM12/18/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

Yes, it's planned for quarter 1 or 2 of 2016. Right now you can install packages for Mac and Linux from the Spyder Anaconda channel, with this command

    conda install -c spyder-ide pyqt5

Cheers,
Carlos

El 18/12/15 a las 12:20, Kai Wiechen escribió:
--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Brian Merchant

Dec 18, 2015, 1:11:34 PM12/18/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi Carlos,

Although, doing that will break Spyder and matplotlib, if you have them in the same environment, yes?

Kind regards,
Brian

Kai Wiechen

Dec 18, 2015, 1:12:55 PM12/18/15
to Anaconda - Public
Hi,

do you have a solution for Win 10 x64?

Regards,

Kai

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 20, 2015, 11:49:47 PM12/20/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

My answers:

1. I'm not in charge of Qt for Windows, so I can't help there. As I said, official packages will be available next year.
2. Spyder 3.0 beta2 can work with Qt5 already :-) Packages for this beta are also available in our channel.
3. Matplotlib can also work with Qt5 (since 1.4.0, I think), as well as qtconsole.

Cheers,
Carlos

Neal Becker

May 27, 2016, 10:07:14 AM5/27/16
to Anaconda - Public
It looks to me that installing

conda install -c spyder-ide pyqt5
does break matplotlib

When I try my app after this, I get:
(py35)[nbecker@nbecker2 interference]$ python test8.py
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted (core dumped)

Ian Stokes Rees

May 28, 2016, 1:25:08 AM5/28/16
to anac...@continuum.io
Neal,

matplotlib and PyQt are significant enough packages that we should see what we can do to get these to play nicely together or if that can't be achieved at least to prevent you from breaking things by installing an incompatible package.  The challenge may be if the package version is in the package name...

In any case this feels to me like something that requires a GH issue to be submitted, along with (if possible) your test script `test8.py`.  I am not sure if the issue should be submitted against Matplotlib or Anaconda.  I'd say submit it against Anaconda and that team can try to figure out if there is a solution in the conda-package-building process they use for Matplotlib.

https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/

Regards,

Ian
_______________________________
Ian Stokes-Rees
Computational Scientist

Continuum Analytics
@ijstokes Twitter LinkedIn Github 617.942.0218

Carlos Córdoba

Jun 1, 2016, 10:09:00 AM6/1/16
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi Ian and Neal,

I'm creating new Qt4 packages that are going to be compatible with the Qt5 packages present in the spyder-ide channel and with the official ones we're working on right now. These Qt4 packages should be ready this week in our official channels.

Thanks for your patience,
Carlos