cannot create a new environment in Anaconda3

C. Scott Blackwell

Jan 17, 2017, 1:55:08 PM1/17/17
to Anaconda - Public
I have installed Anaconda3 64 bit 3-4.1.1 with python 3.5 and that seems to work.  If I try to create a python 2.7 environment the files download but fail to install with the following error:

extern "Python": function Cryptography_locking_cb() called, but @ffi.def_extern() was not called in the current subinterpreter.  Returning 0.

This error occurs multiple times and finally time out.

The activate py27 script changes the prompt but does not show python 2.7x.. Environment py27 is empty.

This has has happened in the last day.  First it corrupted a previously good setup and now the reinstall won't work.  The lastest version of the 64 bit python 3.5 installer has the same problem.
Anybody have a solution allowing a second environment to be installed?

Thanks.

Alchemist45

Ian Stokes Rees

Feb 1, 2017, 1:42:11 PM2/1/17
to anac...@continuum.io

Hi Scott,

I’m sorry you had such a disappointing experience. Anaconda 4.3 just came out on Monday. One option would be to download it and install from scratch, and see if that works. You’d get Python 3.6 with it (if you like — 2.7, 3.4, and 3.5 variants are also available).

But if you want to persevere to try and solve this issue:

On 1/17/17 1:55 PM, C. Scott Blackwell wrote:

I have installed Anaconda3 64 bit 3-4.1.1 with python 3.5 and that seems to work.  If I try to create a python 2.7 environment the files download but fail to install with the following error:

Let me suggest:

conda update conda
conda update cryptography
conda create -n py27take2 python=2.7

If that doesn’t report errors then you can try:

python -V
which python
source activate py27take2
python -V