conda activate slow

akal...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2015, 11:43:26 AM8/17/15
to Anaconda - Public
My team and I have recently switched to using conda exclusively. We're all using Ubuntu Linux, and a common pattern among team members is to activate a particular named environment in our .bashrc. However, we've noticed that opening new tabs seems to take a noticeable amount of time now, and based on my simple timing, the reason is the "source activate [env name]" call.

Is activate expected to take so long? It takes anywhere from 1/2 a second to 2+ seconds, depending on the team member.

Is activating an env in the .bashrc pretty common / recommended? Is there a better way to go about this, for example could I tell conda which environment should be the default? I know one option is to use the root environment instead of a named env, but I'm curious if that's what most people do.

na...@broadinstitute.org

Nov 30, 2016, 1:59:06 PM11/30/16
to Anaconda - Public, akal...@gmail.com
Same problem. I activate it in .bashrc, and I use Midnight Commander which runs in a subshell, so starting MC takes ~10 seconds each time.

Atul

Nov 30, 2016, 2:05:09 PM11/30/16
to na...@broadinstitute.org, Anaconda - Public
FWIW, I just ended up using the root environment as my default environment.