can't get virtualenv to work with anaconda3 v4.3 on mac

jense...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2017, 6:43:13 PM3/9/17
to Anaconda - Public
I installed virtualenvwrapper.  When I try to mkvirtualenv myvenv, or virtualenv myvenv, I get the following message:

toddjensen$ virtualenv myvenv

Using base prefix '/Users/toddjensen/anaconda'

New python executable in /Users/toddjensen/.virtualenvs/myvenv/bin/python

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libpython3.6m.dylib

  Referenced from: /Users/toddjensen/.virtualenvs/myvenv/bin/python

  Reason: image not found

ERROR: The executable /Users/toddjensen/.virtualenvs/myvenv/bin/python is not functioning

ERROR: It thinks sys.prefix is '/Users/toddjensen/.virtualenvs' (should be '/Users/toddjensen/.virtualenvs/myvenv')

ERROR: virtualenv is not compatible with this system or executable

I tried uninstalling virtualenvwrapper, and still get the same messages.  Someone else reported the same issue on stackoverflow; he is also using anaconda3 with python3.6.  I'm a newbie but my sister is a developer and spent almost two hours trying to get to the bottom of this with me, I've put in maybe 20 hours trying to solve this.  Any suggestions?

Ray Donnelly

Mar 9, 2017, 7:25:49 PM3/9/17
to Anaconda - Public
How did you install virtualenv?

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Todd Jensen

Mar 9, 2017, 7:33:42 PM3/9/17
to anac...@continuum.io
I didn’t install it manually.  My understanding is it comes bundled with Python 3.4+, so it was installed when I installed Anaconda.

I installed virtualenvwrapper using the command

pip install —user virtualenvwrapper

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Ray Donnelly

Mar 9, 2017, 7:58:25 PM3/9/17
to Anaconda - Public
To the best of my knowledge, virtualenv does not come bundled with any Pythons.

When you pip installed virtualenvwrapper, pip will have installed virtualenv for you as it is a dependency. Unfortunately, that virtualenv is not compatible with Anaconda Python. Fortunately, the Anaconda Distribution has a virtualenv that is compatible. To fix this:

pip uninstall virtualenv
conda install virtualenv

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

Todd Jensen

Mar 9, 2017, 10:14:47 PM3/9/17
to anac...@continuum.io
This solved the issue!  Ray, this thing has been killing me and I can’t thank you enough.

As a general rule for anaconda users, should we always try conda install _____ first, and only use pip as a backup?

Pete Jemian

Mar 9, 2017, 10:20:16 PM3/9/17
to anac...@continuum.io
That's the way I do it.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

Ray Donnelly

Mar 10, 2017, 3:55:03 AM3/10/17
to Anaconda - Public
Absolutely you should prefer conda. We create and maintain those ones and the conda package manager is able to err, manage them better. Glad you got it working.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

djyan...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2017, 10:56:21 AM6/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
Hi guys,
I think this is the help I might need too.... as I work with Anaconda and couldn't make virtualenwrapper  work.
But we running : conda install virtualenv

I get:

 PermissionError(13, 'Permission denied')

Does anybody knows why ??

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to anaconda+u...@continuum.io.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Ray Donnelly

Jun 26, 2017, 4:03:07 PM6/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
Please show the output of conda info please.

DJ YANiC

Jun 26, 2017, 4:19:15 PM6/26/17
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

Here is a screenshot.
The first serie of exceptions correspond to the uninstallation process.
And then I try to install as you'll see...

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

--
Yannick.

Let's stay in touch!
Screen Shot part b.png

Ray Donnelly

Jun 26, 2017, 4:33:56 PM6/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
Please copy and paste text instead of attaching a screenshot.

DJ YANiC

Jun 26, 2017, 5:14:20 PM6/26/17
to anac...@continuum.io
sorry:

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute_actions(337): An error occurred while installing package 'defaults::virtualenv-15.1.0-py36_0'.

PermissionError(13, 'Permission denied')

Attempting to roll back.

PermissionError(13, 'Permission denied')

Ray Donnelly

Jun 26, 2017, 5:23:26 PM6/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
Please paste the output from:

conda info

DJ YANiC

Jun 26, 2017, 5:33:52 PM6/26/17
to anac...@continuum.io
Is this good?

Yannicks-MBP:~ yannickleroux$ conda install virtualenv

Fetching package metadata ...........

Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment /Users/yannickleroux/anaconda:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

    virtualenv: 15.1.0-py36_0

The following packages will be UPDATED:

    conda:      4.3.21-py36_0 --> 4.3.22-py36_0

Proceed ([y]/n)? y

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute_actions(337): An error occurred while installing package 'defaults::virtualenv-15.1.0-py36_0'.

PermissionError(13, 'Permission denied')

Attempting to roll back.

PermissionError(13, 'Permission denied')

DJ YANiC

Ray Donnelly

Jun 26, 2017, 5:53:42 PM6/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
No, I want the output from "conda info" not that from "conda install virtualenv"

DJ YANiC

Jun 26, 2017, 6:05:36 PM6/26/17
to anac...@continuum.io
sorry newbie :)

Current conda install:

               platform : osx-64

          conda version : 4.3.21

       conda is private : False

      conda-env version : 4.3.21

    conda-build version : not installed

         python version : 3.6.1.final.0

       requests version : 2.14.2

       root environment : /Users/yannickleroux/anaconda  (writable)

    default environment : /Users/yannickleroux/anaconda

       envs directories : /Users/yannickleroux/anaconda/envs

                          /Users/yannickleroux/.conda/envs

          package cache : /Users/yannickleroux/anaconda/pkgs

                          /Users/yannickleroux/.conda/pkgs

           channel URLs : https://conda.anaconda.org/anaconda-fusion/osx-64

                          https://conda.anaconda.org/anaconda-fusion/noarch

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/free/osx-64

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/free/noarch

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/r/osx-64

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/r/noarch

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/pro/osx-64

                          https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/pro/noarch

            config file : /Users/yannickleroux/.condarc

             netrc file : None

           offline mode : False

             user-agent : conda/4.3.21 requests/2.14.2 CPython/3.6.1 Darwin/16.0.0 OSX/10.12

                UID:GID : 501:20

tla...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2017, 6:05:03 AM9/4/17
to Anaconda - Public, djyan...@gmail.com
Hi DJ YANiC,

same problem occur, have you settle yours?

[...]

DJ Yannick L gmail

Sep 5, 2017, 12:04:54 AM9/5/17
to tla...@gmail.com, Anaconda - Public
Hi

I just gave up trying to use virtual env as conda has already the build in possibility to manage virtual environments. I use this now: