Mac OS X 10.9 "Unknown Terminal Type" error after installing R module

pjames....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2015, 5:40:34 PM2/24/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Currently running OS X Mavericks, and ran the following command to install conda for R:

conda install -c asmeurer r

Has anyone else gotten an "Unknown Terminal Type" error in their Terminals after installing? I managed to track down the error to the ncurses module that was installed as a linked dependency, and the problem went away after removing it.

Aaron Meurer

Feb 26, 2015, 12:10:54 PM2/26/15
to anaconda
What is your TERM environment variable?

Aaron Meurer
> --
> Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
> ---

pjames....@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 6:49:06 PM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Currently set to "xterm". After installing the r module, it was changed to "xterm-256color". I tried changing it back using the following methods:
  1. Via export command in Bash (first in .profile, then .bashrc)
  2. "Declare terminal as..." setting in Terminal->Preferences
Both methods yielded the correct terminal type when typing in "echo $TERM", but running a related command such as "reset" gave the "Unknown terminal type ____" error, no matter what type it was set to. Once I ran "conda remove ncurses" (without removing any other linked dependencies for r), the problem went away.

benja...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2015, 5:35:58 PM7/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io, pjames....@gmail.com

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 3:49:06 PM UTC-8, pjames....@gmail.com wrote:
Currently set to "xterm". After installing the r module, it was changed to "xterm-256color". I tried changing it back using the following methods:
  1. Via export command in Bash (first in .profile, then .bashrc)
  2. "Declare terminal as..." setting in Terminal->Preferences
Both methods yielded the correct terminal type when typing in "echo $TERM", but running a related command such as "reset" gave the "Unknown terminal type ____" error, no matter what type it was set to. Once I ran "conda remove ncurses" (without removing any other linked dependencies for r), the problem went away.

I just ran into this by doing `conda install -c r r-irkernel`, but it's easily reproducible with just:

    conda install ncurses
    hash -r
    tput

I don't think it's changing the TERM value (mine has been xterm-256color without issue for a long time), but somehow the ncurses package installs commands (tput, tset, etc.) that don't actually work. As above, `conda remove ncurses` after the fact fixes the immediate problem, but I'm not sure what it breaks, if anything. I presume the dependency is in there for a reason.

So I'm guessing this is a problem in the ncurses conda package not being able to find its own terminfo, but I don't know enough about how that stuff works. I do see the terminfo tree in $PREFIX/share/terminfo.

-MinRK

Aaron Meurer

Jul 20, 2015, 7:38:17 PM7/20/15
to anaconda, pjames....@gmail.com
Try the ncurses package from my channel (or the r channel; should be the same). I remember making some fixes to the recipe and rebuilding it (particularly, adding --enable-termcap when building). I don't know if this is the same issue. tput does work on my computer though (with my ncurses package).

Aaron Meurer

mrd...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2015, 2:11:41 AM9/16/15
to Anaconda - Public
This fixed the problem for me.

kb0...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2015, 12:05:12 PM9/21/15
to Anaconda - Public, mrd...@gmail.com
So how did this end up in the distro?

--terminfo)
echo "/Users/aaronmeurer/anaconda/envs/_build_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_/share/terminfo"
--terminfo-dirs)
echo "/Users/aaronmeurer/anaconda/envs/_build_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_/share/terminfo"
  --terminfo         echos the \$TERMINFO terminfo database path
  --terminfo-dirs    echos the \$TERMINFO_DIRS directory list

  infocmp: couldn't open terminfo file /Users/aaronmeurer/anaconda/envs/_build_placehold_placehold_placehold_placehold_/share/terminfo/78/xterm.

-Johns

Aaron Meurer

Sep 21, 2015, 12:13:21 PM9/21/15
to anaconda, mrd...@gmail.com
Are you seeing this with the latest build of ncurses (build 1)? What
is your "conda list ncurses"?

Aaron Meurer

john sterling

Sep 21, 2015, 12:44:32 PM9/21/15
to anac...@continuum.io, mrd...@gmail.com
conda list ncurses
# packages in environment at /Users/jhs/anaconda:
#
ncurses                   5.9                           0

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Aaron Meurer

Sep 21, 2015, 12:54:56 PM9/21/15
to anaconda, Duane Lawrence
Run

conda install -c r ncurses

(it looks like I only had the latest build on my channel, not also the
r channel, so that may explain why you didn't have it).

Aaron Meurer

john sterling

Sep 21, 2015, 1:00:50 PM9/21/15
to anac...@continuum.io, Duane Lawrence