Anaconda version for OS 10.5.8

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2016, 11:10:17 PM7/18/16
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Guys,

Could anyone help me to find out what version of Anaconda is best for Mac OS 10.5.8? Due to company policy I was not allowed to update my OS and so the easy way to use python and its scientific tools is to install the right Anaconda version.

Thanks for your help!

Gordon

Carlos Córdoba

Jul 21, 2016, 2:15:34 AM7/21/16
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

I think the oldest supported Mac version has always been 10.6

Cheers,
Carlos

El 18/07/16 a las 22:10, gordon...@gmail.com escribió:
--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Jul 21, 2016, 8:19:08 PM7/21/16
to anac...@continuum.io
You have a company policy that requires you to run an old, unsupported OS? Wow!

Sorry, Anaconda never went that far back :-(

The python.org build does support older OS versions. And there are now binary wheels for the core scipy stack that _may_ work for you.

Good luck.

-Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Ilan Schnell

Jul 21, 2016, 8:44:09 PM7/21/16
to Anaconda
The last version that supported OSX 10.6 is also the one which supports 10.5, because we used 10.5 to build on (we never build on 10.6).  I know it came up before, and I looked at the FAQ, but couldn't find the last Anaconda version which still supports 10.6.

I would simply try installing the oldest Anaconda from the archive: http://repo.continuum.io/archive/
That would be Anaconda-1.4.0-MacOSX-x86_64.sh which is from March 9th 2013.
You can even look at the old package list to see what you would get:
- Ilan

Crystal Soja

Jul 22, 2016, 11:58:03 AM7/22/16
to Anaconda - Public
I went digging back into the historical notes - and it looks like we switched to building Anaconda for MacOSX on a 10.7 machine in early spring of 2014.  It looks like you should safely be able to install anaconda v1.8 for OSX 10.5 from the archive link Ilan provided (http://repo.continuum.io/archive/)  Anaconda v1.9 may also work, but it was not clear in the notes whether or not that version had some issues - as I believe that release is what kicked off the decision to switch to a 10.7 build machine.  I will add add this information to the FAQ.  Hope you are able to get a working version!

Ilan Schnell

Jul 22, 2016, 12:19:23 PM7/22/16
to Anaconda
One reason that forced us to use 10.7 for building, is that the MKL binaries from Intel (I believe when we switched to MKL 11.0) contain instructions were causing crashes on 10.5.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Crystal Soja <crysta...@continuum.io> wrote:
I went digging back into the historical notes - and it looks like we switched to building Anaconda for MacOSX on a 10.7 machine in early spring of 2014.  It looks like you should safely be able to install anaconda v1.8 for OSX 10.5 from the archive link Ilan provided (http://repo.continuum.io/archive/)  Anaconda v1.9 may also work, but it was not clear in the notes whether or not that version had some issues - as I believe that release is what kicked off the decision to switch to a 10.7 build machine.  I will add add this information to the FAQ.  Hope you are able to get a working version!

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 11:04:33 PM7/26/16
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Thanks for the help!
I tried to install both version1.8.0 and 1.9.2 on my OS, and both of them returned "the following install step failed: run postupgrade script for condapreinstall." and then it saids the installation is unsuccessful.

Ilan Schnell

Jul 26, 2016, 11:11:50 PM7/26/16
to Anaconda
Thanks for the feedback.
From your error message it seems like you tried the GUI '.pkg' installers.
The '.pkg' installers *never* supported OSX 10.5 or 10.6.  The GUI install piece was only designed for 10.7 and up (and still is).  You have to try the '.sh' (bash shell script) installers.

Thanks   Ilan

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 12:56:03 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Thanks ! The .sh installer is working!
However, I have got another problem. When I was trying to use the python 2.7 installed by Anaconda, I couldnt recall it. I think the reason behind this is that I have got python 2.5 installed on /usr/bin/python( not on my local drive), which is different from where python 2.7 is installed (I have installed it in my local directory)
Thanks again!

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 1:06:04 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda - Public, gordon...@gmail.com
Hi I found the path to my python 2.7 now, but not sure how to set it to default, its
~/anaconda/pkgs/python-2.7.6-1/bin/python2.7

Hope its helpful :S

Ilan Schnell

Jul 27, 2016, 1:10:38 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda, gordon...@gmail.com
Hi again,
no, this is only the path to the Python in the internal package cache.  You should add ~/anaconda/bin to your PATH environment variable:
$ export PATH=$HOME/anaconda/bin:$PATH

- Ilan

Ian Stokes Rees

Jul 27, 2016, 1:14:12 AM7/27/16
to anac...@continuum.io, gordon...@gmail.com

On 7/27/16 1:06 AM, gordon...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi I found the path to my python 2.7 now, but not sure how to set it to default, its
~/anaconda/pkgs/python-2.7.6-1/bin/python2.7

That is not the path you want to set. That is the “package cache” version. What you want to add is just ~/anaconda/bin to your PATH by editing your ~/.bash_profile file and adding a line at the end:

export PATH=~/anaconda/bin:$PATH

This assumes you are using bash. If you use tcsh (which I seem to recall may have been the OSX 10.5 default) then the file is different, but you’ll need to google to figure out what shell you’re using and what the startup file is.

Regards,

Ian

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 1:18:17 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda - Public, gordon...@gmail.com
Hi I hv checked my .bash_profile, anaconda has added this line to the .bash_profile. However, I am still getting python 2.5(the version I had before installing anaconda) whenever I tried to type python in the terminal

Ilan Schnell

Jul 27, 2016, 1:28:52 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda, gordon...@gmail.com
You probably just need to open a new terminal.  Or "source" your bash profile ("source ~/.bash_profile").

gordon...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 1:52:03 AM7/27/16
to Anaconda - Public, gordon...@gmail.com
Whenever I tried to open .bash_profile, it only displayed a text file with only 1 line: export PATH="/Users/zcapkhy/anaconda/bin:$PATH"  in it. Will that has sth to do with my default shell being tcsh? Since when I type echo "$PATH" in tcsh it shows the following: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin , with many more following..
Thanks!
I tried to use source .bash_profile but nothing happens

Ian Stokes Rees

Jul 27, 2016, 8:08:45 AM7/27/16

On 7/27/16 1:52 AM, gordon...@gmail.com wrote:
Whenever I tried to open .bash_profile, it only displayed a text file with only 1 line: export PATH="/Users/zcapkhy/anaconda/bin:$PATH"  in it. Will that has sth to do with my default shell being tcsh? Since when I type echo "$PATH" in tcsh it shows the following: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin , with many more following..
Thanks!
I tried to use source .bash_profile but nothing happens

I think you are using tcsh and not bash.  Try Google: it will give you pointers on how to modify your startup script and put `/Users/zcapkhy/anaconda/bin` onto your `PATH`