anaconda python superduper backup

1 view

j...@janhermann.cz

Apr 16, 2015, 6:42:52 AM4/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hello,

I just wanted to share/document one curiosity. After a fresh install of OS X Yosemite and Anaconda python, I have attempted to do a full backup of my hard drive using SuperDuper 2.7.1. This does a file copy. The backup crashed on both Launcher.app and python.app in the Anaconda root folder complaining about not being able to create hard links from these respective folders to the corresponding ones in the pkgs directory (or vice versa, I don't remember) due to lack of permissions. This was independent of having been installed via the graphical or the shell installer. Repairing disk permissions in OS X did not help. What helped was just overwriting the *.app folders with the ones from the pkgs directory.

Jan

Mike Bombich

May 22, 2015, 11:01:35 AM5/22/15
to anac...@continuum.io, j...@janhermann.cz
Hi Jan,

Your backup solution shouldn't crash when it encounters the issue, but there is actually a problem with the hard links created by the anaconda distribution. Check out my suggestion to resolve the problem here:

Mike
Bombich Software, Inc.

Tom Loredo

Jun 14, 2015, 2:50:56 PM6/14/15
to anac...@continuum.io, j...@janhermann.cz

Just to clarify, assuming the problem I'm having is the sam as for Jan:  SuperDuper! does not crash; the backup just fails, for the reasons mentioned in Mike's post.  So SuperDuper! is just having the same issue that CarbonCopyCloner appears to have.  I hope Continuum fixes this!   -Tom

Mike Bombich

Jun 15, 2015, 9:00:44 AM6/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, j...@janhermann.cz
Just a minor clarifying comment -- This doesn't cause a CCC backup to fail, CCC simply reports the error, but continues to copy everything else just fine. I consider this a serious issue, but from the perspective of CCC, it's more of an annoyance than a showstopper.

Mike

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

jip.d...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2015, 5:39:24 PM11/23/15
to Anaconda - Public, j...@janhermann.cz
I was also having this issue with SuperDuper! and Anaconda on OS X Yosemite.

I updated Anaconda to 2.4 in the hope that it would fix this problem by running:

conda update conda
conda update anaconda

However that didn't fix the problem for me, so I contacted Dave (the developer of SuperDuper!) and he told me to uninstall Anaconda (throw ~/anaconda in the trash bin) and reinstall it. I didn't think there would be need for that (I was already running Anaconda 2.4 after all...) but surprisingly after reinstalling I could complete the backup.

Thanks Dave for the suggestion and thanks Continuum for fixing the installation problems.