Failed to create anaconda menus

pleon...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2017, 10:09:01 PM1/12/17
to Anaconda - Public
I am installing anaconda 4.1.1 on microsoft with python 3.5; it's starts ok but at the end of the instalation I get a message of error that says "Failed to create anaconda menus", if I skip it I get another message that says "Failed to initialize anaconda directions" and If I skip it I resive another message that says "Failed to add anaconda to the system PATH". If I skyp all of them the download finisf but then I don´t have the menu to open anaconda navigator or spyder (error 1), but I can´t find a solution to this problem and I imagen I will have some other problems.
Someone had the same problem or know how to fix it, please help.

Michael Sarahan

Jan 12, 2017, 10:20:39 PM1/12/17
to Anaconda - Public
Most often, this is caused by accented or unicode (non-ascii) characters in the paths that conda is trying to install to.  We have added warnings to our most recent, to-be-released-soon installer, but this doesn't help you much right now.

If you can create a different user account that uses only ascii characters, you should have an easier time.  You can try both installing for "Just me" and "All Users" - you may have more luck with one or the other, depending on whether Windows has non-ascii characters in other places.

HTH,
Michael

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Ian Stokes Rees

Jan 13, 2017, 7:02:45 PM1/13/17
to anac...@continuum.io
I'd also recommend that you download and install Anaconda 4.2 if you're able to do so.

Ian
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to anaconda+u...@continuum.io.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

---
Continuum Analytics Banner

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist, Product Marketing Manager
1.617.942.0218
ijst...@continuum.io
@ContinuumIO @ijstokes

Anaconda Powered By Continuum Analytics
.

liuhaoy...@gmail.com

lsci...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 2:03:23 PM1/24/17
to Anaconda - Public, liuhaoy...@gmail.com
I have the same problem. I installed Anaconda2 successfully, but then it crashed while trying to update Navigator. After that, uninstalls and re-installs of Anaconda2 or 3 keep producing the same three errors. I also tried installing as admin, directly to C:\Anaconda3 - no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

wizard...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2017, 4:14:58 PM1/26/17
to Anaconda - Public, liuhaoy...@gmail.com, lsci...@gmail.com
Also had same problem!  Solved eventually by clearing all references to python in environ variables &/or temporarily renaming old python2.7 folder.  Not sure which was fix because I did both at same time!  Now working.

loren...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2017, 10:25:32 AM2/24/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
I found that if the PATH env variable contains something like 'C:\Program Files (x86)...', it will fail.

max.sh...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 3:19:07 PM4/16/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
Hi

I'm installing Anaconda2-4.3.1-Windows-x86_64 and have the same problem. Environment: Win 10. Tried several options found in different threads but nothing helped ( installation in c:\Anaconda\, renaming user, trying both "only for me" or "for all"). Is there any working universal solution?

hraf...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2017, 2:43:38 AM4/18/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
Man, I just tried upgrading from 4.2.0 to latest (4.3.1). Six hours later, after every variation on fixes described here and many, many other places, umpteen uninstall/re-install/reboot cycles, rolling back to 4.2.0, stripping out almost all PATH entries, etc., etc., I've had it. Even working around the 3 errors by running the 3 respective commands manually results in a strangely broken installation.

In the end, I installed 4.3.1 for "ALL users". That installed as Administrator and to a short path ("C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3"), and seems to have no issues. I don't know what the trigger is, but to avoid another wasted day I'm not going to look. It could have even been the removal of a PATH entry with "(x86)" in it. Not sure if that was related. There are no paths with non-ASCII characters that I can see.

Heath

hraf...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 7:27:29 PM5/3/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com, hraf...@gmail.com
Well I tried a re-install and... this time everything went smoothly!

First I uninstalled 4.3.1 (which I installed for "ALL users"), then rebooted and then re-installed. I tempted fate and left the default "Just for me" option and to my surprise there were no issues.

As I reported earlier, the only change I can identify is that I removed all the PATH entries that had "(x86)" in them. I have no idea why this would be a trigger, but others have reported that it makes a difference too. It may be a coincidence - maybe it was simply reducing the number of characters in the entire PATH variable below some threshold.

Heath

Ray Donnelly

May 4, 2017, 5:12:36 AM5/4/17
to Anaconda - Public
Paths containing any double quotes (") cause big problems for Anaconda. They are also wrong and unnecessary. Many think that the PATH variable itself should contain double quotes around and spaces, but this is not correct. Those quotes are only used to prevent the shell from seeing two different 'words' at point of modification of any env. var. should that modification contain spaces.

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Heath Raftery

May 4, 2017, 6:53:28 PM5/4/17
to anac...@continuum.io
Makes sense, but that wasn’t it either. None of my PATH entries had double quotes, single quotes, foreign characters, or anything more exotic than a parenthesis or a backslash. I could remove the PATH entries one by one and retry until I identify the culprit, but the uninstall/re-install cycle takes a good hour or so, so I’m not real keen on doing that. I didn’t think it was a character length issue since my user/system paths are only about 300/600 characters long, but now that I think of it, maybe concatenated they’re hitting a 1000 character barrier?

When I’m back in the office I’ll have another close inspection of the PATH and see if I can see any likely contenders.

Frankly I’m amazed Anaconda works on Windows at all, given the generally poor relationship that OS has with the command line in general, so kudos for supporting it! Every time I have to deal with a path issue on Windows I shudder at the backslash and colon mess.

Cheers,
Heath

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

hraf...@gmail.com

May 15, 2017, 10:17:50 PM5/15/17
to Anaconda - Public, he...@newie.ventures
While investigating this:

I had cause to enjoy another dozen Anaconda re-installations, so I took the opportunity to do a bit more trial & error on the PATH issue. Results are intriguing albeit inconclusive, so I'll be quite explicit in case anyone can confirm the pattern.

These were my original PATH settings which result in a unsuccessful install:

USER:

C:\Users\heath.raftery\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin;C:\Users\heath.raftery\AppData\Roaming\local\bin;C:\mgc\embedded\codebench\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.16\drv\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.16;C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin

SYSTEM

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin;C:\Program Files\Haskell\bin;C:\Program Files\Haskell Platform\8.0.2\lib\extralibs\bin;C:\Program Files\Haskell Platform\8.0.2\bin;C:\Program Files\Haskell Platform\8.0.2\mingw\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\TShell\TShell\;C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY\

  1. First I removed C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.16\drv\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.16 from USER because they had the most exotic characters I could see (an underscore, a dash and a period).
    • The install was still unsuccessful.
  2. Second, I then removed C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin from USER because it has (x86) in it.
    • And presto, the installation succeeded.

My hunch is that this is not triggered by exotic characters, but by the total PATH length. My original PATH lengths were 250 (USER) and 649 (SYSTEM), totaling 899, or 900 if concatenated with a semi-colon. The Anaconda installation process adds 191 characters to the USER PATH, which would have pushed the total to 1091.

My first (unsuccessful) attempt at removing PATH entries removed 87 characters. A successful install would have resulted in 1004 characters.

My second (successful) attempt removed an additional 36 characters, resulting in 968 total PATH characters and a successful install.

That 1000 character threshold looks strangely suspicious, doesn't it?

Regards,
Heath

mcsp...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 2:45:48 AM5/27/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
For me it turned out something super dumb. Apparently Anaconda wanted to install in the ProgramData folder and that doesn't let one create bunch of things. I accidentally came across this issue. I installed mine on the C root drive like it used to and it worked. I tried installing it in Program Files folder but Anaconda throws a warning that folder has a space and therefore not recommended. So i installed mine on c root.

appu....@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2017, 6:21:18 AM6/27/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com, Keshav Singh
I also faced the same problem. I am installing for the first time. Automatically Anaconda was installing to a location like "C:\Users\local\app\continuum\Anaconda3", this failed. Next time i decreased the location path to "C:\Users\Anaconda3" and it worked. It must be the long characters that causing problem while installation process.

ashutos...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2017, 9:43:49 AM10/9/17
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
 A lot many people are still facing the issue. So I tried to fix the issue in isolation, WRT the solution provided in this(and other) thread.

1. Copy the existing contents from PATH variable and keep it blank, Just enter <;> so as to save it.
2.  Retry the installation(latest 5.0.0) and select "All users option"
3.  After successful installation, put in the variables taken out from PATH.[had been using a lot of those for selenium, java etc]

kirkpat...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 10:02:00 AM10/19/17
to Anaconda - Public
I encountered the same error 'Failed to Create Menus' for about two weeks, downloading and re-downloading; installing and reinstalling when trying to reinstall Anaconda on Windows 7. After reading about others' difficulties and finding some resolution by editing the PATH variable environment, I can conclusively say that it IS the computer PATH that creates this error.  I copied my entire PATH and pasted into Notepad to look for length/character issues.  There was ONE program that used double quotes around the path.  By removing only those double quotes, Anaconda installed correctly.  If you are running into 'Failed to create menus' errors, access your PATH and check length (less than 1024) and make sure there are no quotes.

aakanks...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 11:26:15 PM2/21/18
to Anaconda - Public
HI Timothy, I am experiencing the same. Can you tell me what do mean by editing PATH variable environment? Is it the Directory where Anaconda is stored?, Thankyou

dfke...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2018, 12:45:14 PM3/30/18
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
While googling this error message (which I'm getting too), I've seen many posts about this error, here and on https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues, with many suggestions on how to fix the problem. I tried several of the suggestions (and wasted several hours in the process), but none seem to work for me. Since I didn't choose to add Anaconda to my path variable (either system or user), I fail to see why the length of the path variable, or the contents of the path variable, would be relevant. And why should it matter which directory you choose to install it in? Other Windows applications don't force you to choose a particular installation path, and it generally doesn't matter (as long as you don't try to install a 64-bit app under 'Program Files (x86)' or a 32-bit app under 'Program Files'). I love Python, but I'm about ready to give up on Anaconda. I don't think it's compatible with Windows, period. In any case, it shouldn't be this difficult to install (is this a beta version or something?). I'm going to look for another IDE that's better supported under Windows.

Michael Sarahan

Mar 30, 2018, 1:03:08 PM3/30/18
to anac...@continuum.io, pleon...@gmail.com
I described a bit about why Windows is hard in a comment at
Here it is, for purposes of discussion:

-------------------------------------

There is a distinction between Windows and Linux/Mac. On Linux/Mac, I find it is mostly OK to add anaconda to PATH. We've seen some issues with KDE scripts that are written in a way that ends up finding Anaconda's python rather than the expected system python, and stuff breaks. However, that's a very small number of issues. I haven't seen many issues on Mac with adding anaconda to PATH.

On Windows, it is very different. Because PATH is used to resolve DLL dependencies, and not just EXE's, setting PATH has more drastic consequences. Anaconda's MKL libraries can conflict with other programs that use MKL, for example. It is best in these cases to keep as much off of PATH as possible, but provide shortcuts (like anaconda prompt, or perhaps a bash equivalent) that drop people into an activated prompt.

-------------------------------------

So, I hope you now see why the path variable is extremely relevant on Windows.  It is one of the main ways that libraries get looked up and found.  The alternative is to put libraries directly alongside the executables or python extensions that use them.  That does not work if more than one python extension uses the same DLL - there's too much chance for them to get out of sync, and then things often break.  It is affectionately referred to as "DLL hell."

Now, as for quotes in PATH: when we run batch scripts, we must quote appropriately in order to handle spaces.  If people put quotes in their PATH, those aren't handled properly, and things break.  Is it our job to be completely robust against every mistake that someone else might make?  I hope not.  There's a lot of mistakes people can make.  We do try, and there's always room to improve, but the mistake here is still someone else's, not ours.

Length of PATH is something more subtle.  Intel has a good writeup on symptoms here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/limitation-to-the-length-of-the-system-path-variable

So while it isn't at all accurate to say that Anaconda is incompatible with Windows, it may be incompatible with the current state of your system.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM, <dfke...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda

---

dfke...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2018, 1:37:32 PM3/30/18
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
Yes, I know there's a distinction between Windows and Linux, I done development on both (although not on Mac's, but other Unix systems). And I've installed many software packages under Windows, but I've never had so much grief as I've had with Anaconda. You can blame it on "the current state of [my] system" if you like, but judging by the number of other people having the same problem, I guess there are a lot of people with screwed-up Windows systems.

In any case, if you read my comment again, you'll see that I chose NOT to add Anaconda to my path (as recommended by the install procedure). And yes, under Windows, you have "DLL hell" to deal with, just as under Linux and Unix, you have "dependency hell" to deal with. I'll leave it up to you to decide which kind of hell is worse.

Spaces in directory names are acceptable under WIndows, but that's why they need to be quoted. If that's a mistake, it's Microsoft's mistake, not my mistake. Likewise with the maximum path length.

So are you saying that Anaconda isn't really supported under Windows, because Windows is screwed up?

Michael Sarahan

Mar 30, 2018, 1:51:17 PM3/30/18
to anac...@continuum.io
> So are you saying that Anaconda isn't really supported under Windows, because Windows is screwed up?

No, I'm saying it is definitely more fragile because of Windows quirks, but no less supported.  People have issues on other platforms, too.  We do our best to support everyone, but remember that this is completely free and the ratio of users to people fixing problems is approximately 1,000,000 to 1.

I personally have spent several days on this particular problem over time and have not yet completely solved it.  The hard thing here is that many different issues with Windows all end up giving this same result.

So, if you need to hear "Anaconda is unsupported on Windows" - I'm sure there's a way for you to find that message.  If you'd instead like to help us by identifying the exact cause of your problem, we can work on fixing it.  Keep in mind that this issue is one of hundreds on our plates, and many of those other hundreds are actually paying for us to work on these free products.

Ray Donnelly

Mar 30, 2018, 1:59:38 PM3/30/18
to Anaconda - Public, pleon...@gmail.com
> Spaces in directory names are acceptable under WIndows, but that's why they need to be quoted. If that's a mistake, it's Microsoft's mistake, not my mistake. Likewise with the maximum path length.

No, you are wrong. It is *always* unnecessary to put any double quotes in your PATH environment variable. Plainly it is incorrect and you need to remove them.

David

Mar 30, 2018, 2:49:36 PM3/30/18
to anac...@continuum.io
Not inside, but surrounding the entire path.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Ray Donnelly

Mar 30, 2018, 2:51:36 PM3/30/18
to Anaconda - Public
They're still both incorrect and unnecessary.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

David

tcsmi...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2018, 11:41:22 AM4/28/18
to Anaconda - Public
I'm having the same issue. I'm adding to this discussion because I have the case where I installed Anaconda without any trouble. Then (to take screenshots of the installation process for some documentation that I'm producing) when I attempted to reinstall this (I completely uninstalled the previous version and rebooted before doing this) the Anaconda application fails to install just at the end of the install process -- with error about not being able to create the menus

Nothing changed on my computer between the install and reinstall.

I fixed this problem by starting a PowerShell with admin privileges. I didn't need to "install all users"... this fixed the problem. But, this does indicate that there is an issue with the Anaconda install/uninstall exe. (version Anadona3 5.1.0)

apbo...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2018, 9:44:55 AM11/8/18
to Anaconda - Public
Tim,

What did you do after you started a powershell console with admin privileges to get the shortcuts to be created properly? -- did you run the anaconda installer from the powershell console?

Thanks