Yet again: anaconda, ipython, vpython ... and MacOS

Gary Pajer

Dec 7, 2016, 10:42:58 AM12/7/16
to anac...@continuum.io
I don't know what changed, but I can no longer run vpython from ipython from anaconda.
I did recently upgrade to MacOS 10.12.1
At this point, I'm wondering if it ever did work.

With three organizations, I'm not sure where to start.  You win.  :)

I have a python 2.7 environment.
I presumably have the latest version of vpython that works on 2.7
I have ipython 5.1
And MacOS 10.12.1

Here's what happens

-------------------------------

In [1]: from visual import *

An exception has occurred, use %tb to see the full traceback.

SystemExit: This program needs access to the screen.

Please run with a Framework build of python, and only when you are

logged in on the main display of your Mac.

--------------------------------

My programs run fine if I start them with pythonw.

Should I be starting ipython using pythonw?  If so, how does one do that?

~-~-~

Chris Barker

Dec 10, 2016, 3:14:16 PM12/10/16
to anaconda
conda folks:

PING!!! one more good reason to make your default python interpreter GUI compatible -- like the python.org build does -- it would solve all these problems.

As for getting ipython to run under pythonw, I have no idea :-(

unfortunately the setuptools entry-points does not do the right thing -- though I"m not sure that ipython uses that anyway.

That part may be a question for the ipython folks.

-CHB

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Nathan Goldbaum

Dec 10, 2016, 3:22:19 PM12/10/16
to anaconda
I'd guess that pythonw -m ipython would work.

christian...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 5:55:00 AM1/13/17
to Anaconda - Public
I just ran into the framework build issue with another application, and noticed that I get the error with iPython 5.1, but not if I downgrade to iPython 5.0 ($ conda install ipython=5.0), so there seems to be a problem with the latest iPython in Anaconda

Ian Stokes Rees

Jan 13, 2017, 5:32:06 PM1/13/17
to anac...@continuum.io
On 1/13/17 5:54 AM, christian...@gmail.com wrote:
I just ran into the framework build issue with another application, and noticed that I get the error with iPython 5.1, but not if I downgrade to iPython 5.0 ($ conda install ipython=5.0), so there seems to be a problem with the latest iPython in Anaconda

I'm sorry you've run into this problem.  It would be great if you could report it into our GH issue tracker which is for "bugs" (whereas this list is more for discussion or "help").

https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/new

Regards,

Ian

Christian Brodbeck

Jan 13, 2017, 5:44:26 PM1/13/17
to anac...@continuum.io
--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Ian Stokes Rees

Jan 14, 2017, 7:42:57 AM1/14/17
to anac...@continuum.io
Chris,

I'll see if I can get us to the point of having something written up on the website explaining the current state of things (between python and pythonw/python.app).  I don't know details.  I do know you've been part of this discussion for a long time (>1 year), and the issue has been around "forever" (I found references back to 2013).

For those interested I think the detailed discussion is happening in this GH issue (Chris, you're already a major contributor there):

https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/446

Ian
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to anaconda+u...@continuum.io.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

---
Continuum Analytics Banner

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist, Product Marketing Manager
1.617.942.0218
ijst...@continuum.io
@ContinuumIO @ijstokes

Anaconda Powered By Continuum Analytics