Install Issue on Windows

Lawrence Pilch

Dec 23, 2017, 12:44:54 AM12/23/17
to Anaconda - Public

The install instructions advise:

We recommend not adding Anaconda to the PATH environment variable, since this can interfere with other software. Instead, use Anaconda software by opening Anaconda Navigator or the Anaconda Prompt from the Start Menu

I did that. Anaconda was not added to the PATH environment.

The Anaconda says for

WINDOWS

After you install Anaconda on Windows, start Navigator by:

  • Clicking the Anaconda Navigator desktop app from the start menu.
  • Or by opening an Anaconda Prompt from the start menu and running the command anaconda-navigator.
Unfortunately
1) There is no "Anaconda Navigator" option in the Start menu. Only "Anaconda Prompt"
2) The command "anaconda-navigator" thus results in:

'C:\Users\law97\Anaconda3\Scripts\activate.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\Users\law97>anaconda-navigator
'anaconda-navigator' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Will Warner

Jan 2, 2018, 3:10:32 PM1/2/18
to Anaconda - Public
It sounds like your install may not have completed correctly. Would you please open the Anaconda Prompt and run these commands, and post the output here on the mailing list, either by copying the text or taking a screenshot?

conda info
conda list anaconda-navigator

Also, please post which version of Windows you're using.

If the install did not complete correctly, then you will want to use these steps to uninstall and reinstall.

1) Use the Windows menu for uninstalling programs to uninstall Anaconda.
2) Delete the Anaconda installation directory.
3) Download and run a new copy of the Anaconda installer: https://www.anaconda.com/download/

Lawrence Pilch

Jan 2, 2018, 3:27:31 PM1/2/18
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Will,
 Thanks for the response. I tried uninstalling and installing again except I chose the non-recommended option that adds Anaconda to the PATH environment variable. And it works fine. Do you think that will cause trouble down the road? It's a new Surface Pro running Windows 10.

-law

Will Warner

Jan 2, 2018, 3:35:00 PM1/2/18
to Anaconda - Public
Sounds like you're already ahead of me! I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

If Anaconda is the only instance of Python installed on the machine, you should be fine. If you ever do install software that uses its own copy of Python, and see errors when you try to get it working, then you'll want to check the PATH and check for possible conflicts with Anaconda.

daan...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2018, 9:13:27 AM4/30/18
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Will

I have a similar problem. When i opened anaconda prompt I could not launch jupyter notebook?

This is what i get when I run it in anaconda promt

"'jupyter' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

I installed misconda 3 and misconda 2 64 bit versions and still i get this message. I even changed the path to where I installed the anaconda, and still the promt culd not run kupyter notebook?

What should I do?

Will Warner

May 3, 2018, 7:21:47 PM5/3/18
to Anaconda - Public
Are there any errors when the Anaconda Prompt starts?

Does running the command "conda" show the help information for conda, or an error?

If those show any errors, then the install did not complete correctly, so the best option is to uninstall all versions of Anaconda or Miniconda, delete all directories where they were installed, download a new copy, and reinstall.