conda equivalent to pip install -e?

Chris Withers

Mar 29, 2015, 3:39:45 PM3/29/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi All,

Is there a conda equivalent to pip install -e (repo or path)?

cheers,

Chris

Travis Swicegood

Apr 1, 2015, 1:59:06 PM4/1/15
to Anaconda
Hey Chris,

Not currently.  Conda is different from traditional setup.py / pip based installation in that build and install are separate functions.  In order to install it, you need to first build it.  It'd be kind of hard to do that in a dynamic way like `pip install -e` since the build might change things from what's in your repo.

All that said, there's nothing keeping you from doing `python setup.py develop` inside your project if you're using setuptools.  That's how I test changes to conda and such and other tools that need to be installed for testing.

Hope this helps!

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics

-T
---
Travis Swicegood
Web and UX Architect @ContinuumIO
512-693-7051 | @tswicegood (most everywhere)

Chris Barker

Apr 1, 2015, 5:08:30 PM4/1/15
to anac...@continuum.io

All that said, there's nothing keeping you from doing `python setup.py develop` inside your project if you're using setuptools.

Actually, there is -- it doesn't do dunamically linked libraries correctly, at least on os-x.

I thought there was a test version of conda develop somewhere?

-Chris

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
Hi All,

Is there a conda equivalent to pip install -e (repo or path)?

cheers,

Chris

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics

-T
---
Travis Swicegood
Web and UX Architect @ContinuumIO
512-693-7051 | @tswicegood (most everywhere)

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Aaron Meurer

Apr 1, 2015, 5:34:38 PM4/1/15
to anaconda
There is a conda develop, but all it does is write a .pth file (more
or less the same as symlinking your directory to site-packages). I'd
like to extend it to do more, though.

Aaron Meurer