Are the Anaconda Jupyter Notebook Extensions (nb_conda package) available for Python 3.6?

Craig Schardt

Feb 1, 2017, 11:16:53 AM2/1/17
to Anaconda - Public
After a clean install of Anaconda 4.3 on Windows 7, I tried adding the Jupyter Notebook Extensions and received the following error:

>conda install nb_conda
Fetching package metadata .............
Solving package specifications: .

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - nb_conda -> nb_conda_kernels >=2.0.0 -> python 2.7*
  - python 3.6*
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

It looks like there isn't a package yet for Python 3.6. Is there another way I should be installing this package?

Thank you.

Ian Stokes Rees

Feb 1, 2017, 11:53:23 AM2/1/17
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi Craig,

All of the capability of the `nb_conda` extension is available through Navigator.  We're always interested to know how the community interacts with Jupyter, Anaconda and Conda.  Do you prefer the Jupyter-extension-based interface to Navigator or the command line?  Or were you not aware that Navigator also offered those capabilities?

We've decided to focus on having those Conda-related UI features mostly exposed through Navigator instead of the Jupyter extension, although it is the plan to have Python 3.6 versions available at some point soon.

There are a suite of about half a dozen extensions that need to be updated.  I reported this issue for nb_anacondacloud yesterday:

https://github.com/Anaconda-Platform/nb_anacondacloud/issues/40

Following that would probably be a good way to track when the Python 3.6 versions are available.

Regards,

Ian

Craig Schardt

Feb 1, 2017, 1:01:43 PM2/1/17
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick reply. Anaconda is a fantastic package and I recommend whenever I introduce people to Python.

For package management, I typically use the command line. I was actually trying to get the Notebook Present Extension and followed the docs at: https://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/jupyter-notebook-extensions

Command line

To install all Jupyter Notebook Extensions run:

conda install nb_conda

There are four Notebook Extensions: Notebook Present (nbpresent), Notebook Anaconda Cloud (nb_anacondacloud), Notebook Conda (nb_conda), and Notebook Conda Kernels (nb_conda_kernels).

Installing any one of the four will install all four. The _nb_ext_conf package will also be installed, which activates the extensions.

I get the same error when I try:
> conda install nbpresent

I'll watch that issue for updates.

Regards,
-craig.

kimja...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 5:30:08 AM2/12/17
to Anaconda - Public
I get the same problem on windows 7.
When the package is missing the cloud and presentation buttons do not appear in the notebook tool bar.

paol...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 7:39:22 AM2/13/17
to Anaconda - Public, kimja...@gmail.com
Same problem here with Win 10, all freshly loaded.

chow...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2017, 10:10:34 AM8/17/17
to Anaconda - Public
Not sure if anyone found a solution.  I am having the same problem with a fresh install of anaconda 4.3.24, system python is 3.6.1.  I am trying to `conda install anaconda-nb-extensions -c anaconda-nb-extensions` and getting the following error:

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - anaconda-nb-extensions -> nb_anaconda_theme -> nb_config_manager -> python 2.7* -> openssl 1.0.1*
  - python 3.6*
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

Ian Stokes Rees

Aug 17, 2017, 3:27:49 PM8/17/17
to anac...@continuum.io, chow...@gmail.com

What extensions are you specifically interested in? I’d suggest that you just try to install them directly/explicitly and also try getting them from the conda-forge channel. IOW:

conda install -c conda-forge nb_conda nb_conda_kernels nb_anacondacloud

(if those are the three extensions you are interested in).

Regards,

Ian

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist
1.617.942.0218