Spyder fails to load after installing it into Miniconda3 with conda

acflies

Feb 23, 2015, 5:59:05 PM2/23/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hello, I had WinPython installed on my desktop and spyder worked without issue. I deleted WinPython and decided to install Miniconda3 and then install Numpy Scipy Matplotlib and IpPython via conda just for fun. After successfully installing the packages I attempted to run spyder and it immediately crashes. I have uninstalled and re-installed multiple times without luck. I have Anaconda3 installed on another laptop and have no issues. What would cause spyder to work with Anaconda3 install but not Miniconda3/conda? Thanks.

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 23, 2015, 6:45:48 PM2/23/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

I think you need to install jinja2 to make Spyder work correctly in Miniconda. If that doesn't work, please open a terminal, run this command

    spyder --show-console

and paste the output here.

Cheers,
Carlos

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

AC

Feb 23, 2015, 6:57:52 PM2/23/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Well, that worked. Can you provide some background? I see that it's an included package in Anaconda and that explains the difference.What dependence does spyder have on jinja2? Also, jinja2 only claims experimental support for python 3.3. Will I have issues running 3.4? Thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

--
Adam

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2015, 11:07:46 PM2/23/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
Ok, now I'm having another issue. I successfully installed Miniconda (2.7). I've successfully installed all of the packages I wanted. I then successfully created an new environment with all the same packages for (3.4). When I run <conda list -e> for both environments I get spyder 2.3.2 py27_0 and spyder 2.3.2 py34_0 respectively. However, when I run python or spyder from either the root environment or the 3.4 environment that I created it only runs python 2.7. I've activated the (3.4) environment as well as tired to run (3.4) directly from the \Miniconda\envs folder without success. What'a the problem?

Ilan Schnell

Feb 23, 2015, 11:56:41 PM2/23/15
to Anaconda, adam.chr...@gmail.com
It sounds like your new 3.4 environment is in fact still a Python 2.7 environment.  How did you call this new environment?  What is the output from "conda list -n py34" ?  Does this list include the Python 3.4 package?  Another problem could be that you are still running the spyder from the Python 2.7 environment.

Thanks   Ilan

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 24, 2015, 10:24:20 AM2/24/15
to anac...@continuum.io
Hi,

Spyder depends on Sphinx, which in turn depends on Jinja2. Unfortunately, I think there conda has a dependency on Sphinx but not on Jinja2, and that's what it's causing the crash.

This is known and will be fixed in the next Anaconda release.

Cheers,
Carlos

Ilan Schnell

Feb 24, 2015, 11:18:47 AM2/24/15
to Anaconda
Hi Carlos,

I've added Sphinx as a runtime dependency to Spyder, so in the next release it will be included.  Previously Sphinx was only listed as a build-time dependency.

Thanks   Ilan

AC

Feb 24, 2015, 5:46:18 PM2/24/15
to anac...@continuum.io
So I uninstalled Minicona and installed Anaconda3. I created a 2.7 environment using <conda create -n py27 python=2.7> and I things seem to be working properly. Thanks everyone for the support. Now I can get crackin' on learning python.

acflies

Feb 24, 2015, 6:34:17 PM2/24/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
Ok, so I noticed some more weirdness. My root environment is now 3.4. If I launch spyder via the launcher GUI I can get spyder 2.7 by selecting the proper environment. However, when I try to launch spyder 2.7 from cmd out of the \Anaconda3\envs\py27\Scripts folder, I still get spyder 3.4 and yet If I click on the application link in the Anaconda3\envs\py27\Scripts folder, I get python 2.7. What the heck is going on?

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 25, 2015, 10:10:55 AM2/25/15
to anac...@continuum.io
If you run

    spyder

from a terminal without activating any environment, the version from your root environment will always be ran (i.e. 3.4). To run the version from your Python 2.7 env, you need to run first

    activate py27

in a terminal, and then

    spyder

Cheers,
Carlos

El 24/02/15 a las 18:34, acflies escribió:
Ok, so I noticed some more weirdness. My root environment is now 3.4. If I launch spyder via the launcher GUI I can get spyder 2.7 by selecting the proper environment. However, when I try to launch spyder 2.7 from cmd out of the \Anaconda3\envs\py27\Scripts folder, I still get spyder 3.4 and yet If I click on the application link in the Anaconda3\envs\py27\Scripts folder, I get python 2.7. What the heck is going on?

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 7:51:55 PM2/25/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
Yes, I've done that. Still getting python 3.4 interpreter as well as spyder w/ 3.4.

acflies

Feb 25, 2015, 8:52:46 PM2/25/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
I just ran the following:

conda remove -n py27 --all
conda create -n py27 python=2.7
activate py27
python

...and I still get a python 3.4.1 interpreter. However, if I navigate to C:\Anaconda3\envs\py27 via windows and click on the python application icon, I get a python 2.7.9 interpreter...

Travis Oliphant

Feb 26, 2015, 12:16:39 AM2/26/15
to Anaconda
What is the output of:  echo %PATH%

What is the output of: conda info -a

Likely, your PATH is includes the Python 3.4.1 interpreter by default.    It is true that activate should change that, but perhaps this is not working correctly.

-Travis

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Travis Oliphant
CEO
Continuum Analytics, Inc.

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 10:43:56 AM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
I just see C:\Anaconda3 and C:\Anaconda\Scripts. I tried export PATH=/Anaconda3/envs/py27 and just get export is not a recognized command. What should I be looking for in the conda info -a output? I see CONDA_DEFAULT_ENV: <not set> and CONDA_ENVS_PATH: <not set>

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 26, 2015, 5:36:41 PM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io
You don't need to install two Anaconda versions to have two different Python versions. Please uninstall both (because your PATH is probably a mess), install just Anaconda3, and then create a new environment for Python 2.7.

Cheers,
Carlos

El 26/02/15 a las 10:43, adam.chr...@gmail.com escribió:
I just see C:\Anaconda3 and C:\Anaconda\Scripts. I tried export PATH=/Anaconda3/envs/py27 and just get export is not a recognized command. What should I be looking for in the conda info -a output? I see CONDA_DEFAULT_ENV: <not set> and CONDA_ENVS_PATH: <not set>

AC

Feb 26, 2015, 5:47:09 PM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io
I'll give it a try, but my understanding is when I ran
conda create -n python=2.7
I just created an environment with just the python 2.7 interpreter. And correction - my PATH has C:\Anaconda3 and C:\Anaconda3\Scripts...not C:\Anaconda\Scripts...

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/group/anaconda/.

--
Adam

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 8:51:26 PM2/26/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
This is getting silly. I completely uninstalled everything. Re-installed Anaconda 3 for all users in C:\Anaconda3. Updated conda...ran conda create -n py27 python=2.7 and I am STILL getting a python 3.4.1 interpreter...PATH directories are the same, C:\Anaconda3 and C:\Anaconda3\Scripts. The Launcher appears to be the only way I can get 2.7 to run. It shows root as py 3.4.1-2 and py27 as 2.7.9-1. I have tried this on two systems one running 8.1 and one 7 and I'm getting the exact same results. I have run activate py27 to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Dave Hirschfeld

Feb 27, 2015, 3:47:43 AM2/27/15

On Friday, 27 February 2015 01:51:26 UTC, adam.chr...@gmail.com wrote:
This is getting silly. I completely uninstalled everything. Re-installed Anaconda 3 for all users in C:\Anaconda3. Updated conda...ran conda create -n py27 python=2.7 and I am STILL getting a python 3.4.1 interpreter...PATH directories are the same, C:\Anaconda3 and C:\Anaconda3\Scripts. The Launcher appears to be the only way I can get 2.7 to run. It shows root as py 3.4.1-2 and py27 as 2.7.9-1. I have tried this on two systems one running 8.1 and one 7 and I'm getting the exact same results. I have run activate py27 to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Instead of describing in words what you did it's often *much* better to just copy and paste the *exact* inputs and outputs from your "terminal" session.

e.g. Are you using powershell? `activate` doesn't work in powershell AFAIK. Did you type `python` in the same terminal, and  immediately after entering `activate py27` if so what was the result (copy & paste, not description)

-Dave

Ryan Nelson

Feb 27, 2015, 9:26:50 AM2/27/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
I got this to work fine on my Windows 7 machine. I have Anaconda3 installed only for me (not all users), and python has been added to both my PATH variable and the registry. Here's what I did to get Spyder to work.

* Removed the ".spyder2" and ".spyder2-py3" directories from my user folder (C:\Users\Ryan). This is probably not necessary, but I did it anyway.
* Start a basic command prompt. cmd.exe or "All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt"
* Check PATH
C:\Users\Ryan> echo %PATH%
...D:\Anaconda;D:\Anaconda\Scripts
* Run the Python3 version
C:\Users\Ryan> spyder
* This version of Spyder shows Python3 as the interpreter

To get a Python 2 version:
* Start a new command prompt
C:\Users\Ryan> conda create -n py2 python=2 spyder jinja2
C:\Users\Ryan> activate py2
[py2] C:\Users\Ryan> echo %PATH%
D:\Anaconda\envs\py2;D:\Anaconda\envs\py2\Scripts;... #These are the very first entries in my PATH
[py2] C:\Users\Ryan> spyder
* Spyder opens and shows a Python2 interpreter

Hope that helps a little.

Ryan

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 5:29:00 PM2/27/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
Ryan, that did the trick. Thanks to you and everyone else for your help!

adam.chr...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 6:26:11 PM2/27/15
to anac...@continuum.io, adam.chr...@gmail.com
FYI, I followed the same steps on 8.1 and it worked just fine.