Issue with Anaconda 2.3 64 bit installation on windows 7

hitesh...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 9:06:36 AM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io
I am having issue in installing Anaconda 2.3 64-bit version on windows 7. I had earlier installed 1.9.2 and had no issues. I wanted to upgrade to 2.3 and I am facing this issue.

Anaconda 2.3 64bit windows (filename: Anaconda-2.3.0-Windows-x86_64)
Os : windows 7
Ram: 8 gb

The issue is - After running the installer I am getting a "failed to create anaconda menus" at the very end of the installation. On verifying the installation I am seeing the following strange things,

1. No pythonw.exe exists under the C:\Anaconda folder
2. No bin folder under C:\Anaconda folder
3. Even I am unable to locate python.exe through windows search.

I tried 1.9.2 again and had the same issue. Same for 2.2.0.

I feel the problem has t o do with some settings in my laptop. but couldn't figure out what is the issue.

Hitesh

Parkway

Jul 15, 2015, 10:34:45 AM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
I would first try to a) remove Anaconda completely from your system; b) check for and remove all references to python from the PATH statement and c) re-install Anaconda.

Wolf Metzner

Jul 15, 2015, 10:42:38 AM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io

Hi test,
That is exactly what happened to me. Hoping that Continuum comes up with a solution.
Wolf

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

hitesh...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 10:47:00 AM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
That is exactly what I did. I also run the exe as Administrator. Still same error. In fact, there are no references to python in the path. Also I cannot locate the python.exe which I believe should be under C:\Anaconda

Parkway

Jul 15, 2015, 10:59:51 AM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
Best wait for a Continuum moderator.

In meantime, checkout the PYTHONPATH post just replied to. I believe that Anaconda loads python.dll which can be found in the /Anaconda directory.

Wolf Metzner

Jul 15, 2015, 9:50:18 PM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
Hi Hitesh,
Seems we have the identical problem.
I have tried to follow the instructions here:
​However, the instructions for the using SUBINACL are incomplete.
Have you tried this route? Any luck?

Wolf

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Wolf Metzner, M.S., C.S.S.
CFO

POBox 1236 | Austin, TX 78709-1236
(512) 441-7000 (o) | (512) 203-5461 (m) | 512-904-8016 (fax) |  Skype: WMetzner

WMet...@StarkSM.com

hitesh...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 10:59:05 PM7/15/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
Wolf

I saw your post before I posted mine. Haven't tried it out. For now, I have moved to the regular python windows installation. Anaconda is very useful indeed but don't want to waste time in setup. Moreover, I had a working version of Anaconda 1.9.2. And that was working perfectly fine. I uninstalled it to move to the 2.3 version and got myself into trouble :(

Hitesh

Parkway

Jul 16, 2015, 3:12:18 AM7/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io, hitesh...@gmail.com
Out of curiosity: on first attempt, was Anaconda 2.3 installed from 1.9.2 using "conda update anaconda" or by uninstalling Anaconda 1.9.2 from the system and installing a fresh Anaconda 2.3?

Wolf Metzner

Jul 16, 2015, 6:57:14 AM7/16/15
to anac...@continuum.io

This is how I installed;
.  Python 3.4
.  Python 2.7
.  Anaconda 2.3, with hello at SciPy2015
.  Removed all Python to only use Python 3.4
.  Anaconda 3.4 -> failed

On Jul 16, 2015 2:12 AM, "Parkway" <dinesh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Out of curiosity: on first attempt, was Anaconda 2.3 installed from 1.9.2 using "conda update anaconda" or by uninstalling Anaconda 1.9.2 from the system and installing a fresh Anaconda 2.3?

Aaron Meurer

Jul 16, 2015, 12:32:59 PM7/16/15
to anaconda
The Anaconda Python will be in the Scripts directory, like C:\Anaconda\Scripts\python.exe. The Anaconda installer should have added that directory to your system PATH automatically. Anaconda does require the use of PYTHONPATH, and we recommend not having it set.

Aaron Meurer

Hitesh Bagchi

Jul 17, 2015, 2:54:45 AM7/17/15
to anac...@continuum.io
I understand the "failed to create anaconda menus" is a critical error and that message signifies that it could not do the things it was suppose to do. - create the windows start menu folder with shortcuts, set the python, conda file path to the system path. If only I could get get rid of it, things will just work fine.

Hitesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

im.ni...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2015, 2:39:31 AM12/13/15
to Anaconda - Public, hitesh...@gmail.com
Hi All

I'm having exactly the same error on my installation of Anaconda2 2.4.1 on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine (8GB RAM).

I had a Anaconda2 2.4 installed on my system and that was working completely fine. I downloaded the .exe file of 2.4.1, uninstalled the previous version, and attempted to install 2.4.1.

The error occurs right at the end of the installation.

Have you been able to sort this problem out at your end?

Thanks
Nishant
Message has been deleted

blom...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2016, 6:02:56 PM1/21/16
to Anaconda - Public
Is there any solution to this? I just downloaded Anaconda2 2.4.1 for 64bit Windows, Python 2.7. (fom here: https://www.continuum.io/downloads )

The system (Windows7 64bit) has never had a Python installed on it. After reviewing various distros, I chose Anaconda for "ease of install/use" but during the install I get these messages I see reported a fair bit (but with no solution) --> Failed to create menus, failed to add to PATH, etc
My user is an admin user, and I was installing for all users.

I see the python files in the folder I chose, so maybe I can use the distro and edit PATH etc myself, but I wanted to recommend my users install this distro, and would prefer to know it installs nicely without errors. :)

Thanks!

Michael Sarahan

Jan 21, 2016, 6:22:23 PM1/21/16
to Anaconda - Public
Hi,

The menu error may come up due to a bug caused by a strange windows race condition. We have fixed that, but have not yet released a new anaconda installer.  The other errors are not registered to that, though, so it might be something what behind this.

There are a few things to try:

- Installing as a user instead of system wide may avoid the issue.

- Since the files are all there, you can get the updated menu installer, and reinstall menu packages:

conda update menuinst
conda install -f console_shortcut ipython ipython-notebook ipython-qtconsole launcher spyder

- The errors might happen if PATH is too long already. How long is your PATH environment variable? Windows limits this to 1024 characters in batch scripts. There are some workarounds go shorten it here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4405091/how-do-you-avoid-over-populating-the-path-environment-variable-in-windows

Hth,
Michael

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

joe...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 6:16:07 PM1/29/16
to Anaconda - Public
So, this suggestion worked for me.
find the conda installed inside of /Continuum/Anaconda2/Scripts/ and use that to run the update (though in truth I had to first install menuinst).
Then install the console shortcuts etc as shown.
That got the shortcuts on the menu.  (Which actually I never use, since they don't really work well with virtual-envs.)
You can set your path to find conda, and should be good.
I also noticed that while windows will allow " in the path specification, conda does not like it.  This came up when I tried to activate an environment.

silvaro...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 4:38:25 PM3/3/16
to Anaconda - Public, hitesh...@gmail.com
I had the same problem trying to install Anaconda 2.5 on windows 7. I traced the problem down to the menuinst module. When the installation tries to make the menus it runs

"C:\Anaconda2\pythonw.exe" -E -s "C:\Anaconda2\Lib\_nsis.py" mkmenus

mkmenus in _nsis.py makes use of menuinst. In __init__.py in /site-packages/menuinst/ there's an elevated_install function that creates a batch file. It that batch file determines that it hasn't been run as admin, it will create a .vbs script that will try to run menu.py, in a temporary directory, as admin to install a menu. The problem, for me at least, was that it didn't have privileges to even run that getadmin.vbs script.

What I did was I just hit ignore for call to a function in _nsis.py that failed. Then I edited __init__.py to tell the batch script to run getadmin.vbs as admin (This was line 62 in /site-packages/menuinst/__init___.py for me)

 runas /user:Administrator "%SystemRoot%\System32\WScript.exe" "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

Then I manually reran

"C:\Anaconda2\pythonw.exe" -E -s "C:\Anaconda2\Lib\_nsis.py" mkmenus

and every other call to a _nsis.py function that errored out during the installation (mkdirs, add path). That seemed to work for me.

The thing is that now I have a new problem where, if I try any conda command like "conda list", it will tell me that my installation of conda has not been initialized. Everything I've heard about conda being easy and convenient is out the window. What a headache.

Michael Sarahan

Mar 3, 2016, 4:45:40 PM3/3/16
to Anaconda - Public, hitesh...@gmail.com
Sorry for your trouble.  This requirement for elevation is definitely annoying, and we're working to improve it.  Installs for users, rather than system-wide, should not have this issue, because they do not require admin privileges.

We will be adding a command-line option to not install menu entries soon.  Other than that, we can't get around Microsoft's (sane) requirement that changing shortcuts for all users requires admin privileges (elevation, not simply being an administrator).

Best,
Michael

Rudy Silva

Mar 3, 2016, 4:59:50 PM3/3/16
to anac...@continuum.io
The weird thing is I get that error message during installation for both all users and single user. I would expect it to not happen if I installed it just for me.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Anaconda - Public" group.

Michael Sarahan

Mar 3, 2016, 5:33:25 PM3/3/16
to anac...@continuum.io
That is strange.  We observed one user in a similar situation.  In his case, a different Python was getting picked up by the installer when doing its work.  We have hopefully fixed this for the next installer by setting the PATH more strictly throughout the installer.  Our next planned release is at the end of this month.

If you can provide any screenshots, I'd be happy to look and see if this might be happening to you as well.

HTH,
Michael

Rudy Silva

Mar 3, 2016, 6:28:56 PM3/3/16
to anac...@continuum.io
Ok, now I look foolish. I must have tried single user and all user installation for both miniconda and anaconda like 2 or 3 times. I tried it again to get screenshots and it worked this time. I'm thinking it had something to do with me changing my TEMP user variable from "C:\temp" to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" because that's the only thing I did differently. I had originally changed my TEMP variable because MATLAB was complaining that it didn't have access to my temp directory for some other weird reason. The thing is, I seem to remember trying to install Anaconda before I made any user variable changes so I'm pretty confused. I'm just glad it works now.

Rudy

Rudy Silva

Mar 3, 2016, 7:44:52 PM3/3/16
to anac...@continuum.io
But now I have a new problem. I can't make windows run .py files with ./Anaconda/pythonw.exe. If I go to properties->change->browse and select pythonw.exe it does nothing. It's as if I didn't select it at all.

If I go to the command prompt and try
assoc .py=Python.File
I get  "Access is denied. Error occurred while processing: .py."

ftype Python.File
I get "File type 'Python.File' not found or no open command associated with it.

I searched for 'Python.File' in my registry and it's not there anymore and I know it was there, before, when I had JUST python installed. I can always run .py files by doing

%PYTHONPATH%\pythonw.exe <filename>.py

But that would be pretty annoying. I would rather not have to do that every time.

Michael Sarahan

Mar 4, 2016, 9:29:32 AM3/4/16
to anac...@continuum.io

Sorry, anaconda doesn't handle file associations at all.  I hope you might be able to find some help on stack overflow or a Windows-centric forum.

One thing to note, though: %PYTHONPATH% is what python uses to find modules and packages. It should never be used to find exe's, and most of the time it is best if you do not set this variable yourself (to avoid package version confusion and breakage).  Instead, the PATH environment variable is used for exe and DLL files.

Best,
Michael

morales....@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2016, 5:40:28 PM3/23/16
to Anaconda - Public, hitesh...@gmail.com
Solución: Eliminar la carpeta Anaconda2 después de haber instalado. Una vez eliminado ejecutar el instalador de nuevo.

ram...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2016, 8:36:44 AM3/25/16
to Anaconda - Public, hitesh...@gmail.com
Hi,
I'm getting the following error on installation. I tried with every version of Anaconda that is available to download, i tried on Win 10 ,Win 7 and 2008 R2. But error is same.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

rolexj...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 11:29:37 PM5/6/16
to Anaconda - Public
Worked for me. Thanks a lot

rolexj...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 11:50:59 PM5/6/16
to Anaconda - Public, rolexj...@gmail.com
Another problem now. I have icons but when I try to run them it does not work. I get an error saying no module name shutil.get_terminal_size. Please help. Thanks

pervu...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2016, 5:09:03 AM6/12/16
to Anaconda - Public
Thanks, this helps! I choose to install only for me and clear some entries in PATH variable.

blha...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2017, 9:56:43 AM2/16/17
to Anaconda - Public
Hi Michael,

Any update on this?  For what ever reason I am the only person in class who cannot install anaconda.  I deleted my entries to path variable.  I have tries to install for only one user and for all users(only because people in some forums had better success with installing for all users) Nothing seems to work.

Ian Stokes Rees

Feb 16, 2017, 12:15:22 PM2/16/17
to anac...@continuum.io
On 2/16/17 9:56 AM, blha...@gmail.com wrote:
Any update on this?  For what ever reason I am the only person in class who cannot install anaconda.  I deleted my entries to path variable.  I have tries to install for only one user and for all users(only because people in some forums had better success with installing for all users) Nothing seems to work.

That is really frustrating -- I'm sorry it isn't working for you.  As a last ditch if you need this for course work then I would recommend installing VirtualBox and then firing up an Ubuntu VM where you can install Anaconda.  Less than ideal, but it should move you forwards.

Ian