When do I need to use Anaconda Commercial Edition

Jan Gorecki

Nov 23, 2020, 10:22:37 AM11/23/20
to Anaconda - Public
Dear anaconda community

In Linux installation docs https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/linux/
I am finding the following information:

> Using Anaconda in a commercial setting? You may need to use Anaconda Commercial Edition.

It is not explained why may I need to use commercial edition. At the
first glance I think the author of the message wanted to write "You
may want to use..." rather "You may need to use...".
I am not sure, thus my question here.

Best regards,
Jan Gorecki

Brian Toby

Nov 23, 2020, 12:48:59 PM11/23/20
to Anaconda - Public, Jan Gorecki
The free version of Anaconda is made available with a license, which may or may not be compatible with your employer’s commercial needs, but that is for you to review. It appears many companies are fine with it.  There are extra capabilities offered to companies that purchase the commercial version, which you could discuss with one of their salespeople.

Brian

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda

Juan Sanchez

Nov 23, 2020, 6:06:17 PM11/23/20
to anac...@continuum.io
https://www.anaconda.com/blog/anaconda-commercial-edition-faq

How do you define commercial usage?

We clarified our definition of commercial usage in our Terms of Service in an update on Sept. 30, 2020. The new language states that use by individual hobbyists, students, universities, non-profit organizations, or businesses with less than 200 employees is allowed, and all other usage is considered commercial and thus requires a business relationship with Anaconda.

José Antonio Martín H.

Nov 24, 2020, 2:26:53 AM11/24/20
to anac...@continuum.io
Ok, since I have packages from Anaconda channel in several environments on several projects then have I to migrate all our environments to conda-forge channels then?

Is there a page with a list of features that Anaconda channels packages provide that shows the differential value over conda-forge channels? So that we can study it and the make a recommendation for the IT management to consider acquiring a Comercial license?

Best,
Jose A.

Michael

May 11, 2021, 2:03:38 AM5/11/21
to Anaconda - Public, juan.e....@gmail.com
Apologies if I should be making a separate thread for this question, I'm not sure of the google groups etiquette.

Further clarifying on commercial use, I've recently taken an educational course at home that uses jyupiter notebook which relies on an anaconda installation. I want to take this course to work and play with it in my spare time on my work computer. The program would not be used to produce any business/work related content and is purely for my self education. Work is also not sponsoring me to do this / my job function is unrelated to datascience. I'm trying to chase up my IT dept to figure out whether we have an enterprise license but assuming we don't would my use fall under commercial because I used it on my work laptop or am I ok so long as it wasn't used for commercial purposes?

Saundra Monroe

May 11, 2021, 3:30:27 PM5/11/21
to anac...@continuum.io
Hello Michael,

Since you are using repo.anaconda.com for learning and personal use this is allowed under the terms of service agreement.  Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Saundra

Saundra Monroe

Director of Product Management