Problem when trying to launch applications in Anaconda Navigator

Haozhe Sun

May 18, 2021, 9:32:12 AM5/18/21
to Anaconda - Public
I've just downloaded Anaconda and I can't open any of the applications in Navigator such as Jupyter Notebook, Spyder, etc. When I click on 'launch', the Navigator processes but it doesn't actually open it. How could I solve this problem?

Carlos F. Enguix

May 20, 2021, 8:44:13 PM5/20/21
to Anaconda - Public, sunhaozh...@gmail.com
Hi:

I am having the same problem, not being able to launch any application within Anaconda-Navigator. Instead on the command prompt, I get the following error message at the end (when invoking the anaconda-navigator from the command prompt so I can capture error messages...):

OSError: [WinError 577] Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source

I "googled" this error and the only reference I could find suggests deactivating via the registry Windows Security options that I am not willing to deactivate...

Any hints there....?

PD I have installed the latest Anaconda distribution

Rauli Rinnekangas

May 21, 2021, 2:43:00 AM5/21/21
to Anaconda - Public, carlos....@gmail.com, sunhaozh...@gmail.com
Hello, I experienced the same issue (apps like Spyder or VS Code not launching from the Navigator) with the latest  Anaconda Individual Edition for Windows 64-bit from: https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual

I uninstalled the latest version.

Then I visited the old packages list on https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/packages/oldpkglists/

After reviewing the packages info, I selected Anaconda3-2020.07-Windows-x86_64 and downloaded it from the archive: https://repo.anaconda.com/archive/

Installed the downloaded package and tested: now launching apps like Spyder or VS code from the Navigator works as expected.

Just wondering, could this non-launch issue be due to Python version?

I had Python 3.9 configured for the latest non-launch version by adding it to the PATH, whereas the older version which works ok has Python 3.8 as default.

Carlos F. Enguix

May 21, 2021, 2:13:26 PM5/21/21
to Anaconda - Public, bebacku...@gmail.com, Carlos F. Enguix, sunhaozh...@gmail.com
Hi Bebacku, many thanks for the hint...

I attempted to install both Anaconda 2021 setup executables and non-worked w.r.t. to launching apps in Anaconda-navigator and yes, I installed the latest 2020 Anaconda installation setup
and I could launch again all apps within Anaconda-navigator...

My conclusion, the problem is with the latest Anaconda  2021 versions in Windows 10. So I am not sure if it is a general Windows 10 bug or it is just the idiosyncrasy of my own Windows 10 setup.

Cheers, Carlos F. Enguix

bebacku...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 3:26:04 PM5/21/21
to Anaconda - Public, carlos....@gmail.com, bebacku...@gmail.com, sunhaozh...@gmail.com
Thank you Carlos for the information.

So it seems, that for now using older versions may be required as a fallback solution in some cases like Windows.

Also, I wondered if this 2021 edition issue may be due to using 32-bit version of Anaconda as basis for making the 64-bit version: i.e.similar to some other 32-bit software apps in a 64-bit computer, which often happens to not launch correctly and instead is left hanging in the OS?

Anyways, I hope this issue will be fixed for future editions.

Sudeshna Datta

Jun 23, 2021, 4:37:05 AM6/23/21
to papu...@gmail.com, anac...@continuum.io
Respected Sir