How to install header files

peter.re...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 9:56:41 AM9/2/14
to co...@continuum.io
I am currently trying to get an ffmpeg-dev recipe done for windows. The idea is simple. Download the dev version of ffmpeg and unzip it. Then copy header files to include and library files to Libs. The recipe works when I build it (the files are extracted and copied), but if I try to install the package from binstar, the header and lib files are not copied into the folders they belong to. What do I do wrong?

You can find the package on binstar:

https://binstar.org/groakat/ffmpeg-dev/files

Cheers,

Peter

peter.re...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 10:45:39 AM9/2/14
to co...@continuum.io, peter.re...@gmail.com
Hmm it seems to work, but maybe I am using the wrong path to install the headers. Using LIBRARY_INC and LIBRARY_LIB seems not a good option as they are not recognized by distutils as library and include directories...

peter.re...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 12:34:36 PM9/2/14
to co...@continuum.io, peter.re...@gmail.com
Ok I managed to setup distutils by querying the "LIBRARY_INC" and "LIBRARY_LIB" folders and passing them as include_dirs and library_dirs to by distutil package (ffvideo) which depends on the "headers" to compile a Cython file.

Now the problem is, if I install my ffvideo package that I just compiled, and even though as its dependency the ffmpeg headers and libs are installed from binstar, I cannot run ffvideo. The reason is that it cannot find the lib/dll files. I do not know why, but I suspect it is because some paths were hard coded at compile time. Since I am now in a new environment, at least the root path is different.

How do I make the lib/dlls available? Do I need to add the LIBRARY_LIB and LIBRARY_INC folders to some PATH variable or something?

Aaron Meurer

Sep 2, 2014, 1:31:24 PM9/2/14
to peter.re...@gmail.com, conda
I believe the way we typically manage this on Windows is to place the
DLLs alongside the binaries.

Aaron Meurer

Travis Oliphant

Sep 3, 2014, 1:16:08 AM9/3/14
to Aaron Meurer, peter.re...@gmail.com, conda
On Windows, our current recommended approach is to:

    1) put the DLLS next to the executable that needs them
    2) put the DLLS in a directory that is on your PATH environment variable.

By default, Anaconda and Miniconda add two directories to the path (the root directory and %ROOT% / Scripts).  You could either put the dlls in that directory or add the directory the dlls are located to your PATH.

-Travis

--

Travis Oliphant
CEO

peter.re...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2014, 2:52:53 PM9/3/14
to co...@continuum.io, peter.re...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot. Putting the dlls into %SCRIPTS% worked out.