Help Installing pyDStool on Windows 7?

Eric

Apr 20, 2014, 2:42:03 PM4/20/14
to anac...@continuum.io

I am presently making the switch from Matlab to Python (it has been great until now). Unfortunately, I am now in over my head: I want to implement some simple nonlinear dynamical systems (with some bifurcation analysis). I can do the numerical simulations easily (if slowly) in Matlab, but really want to start doing it in Python for a presentation in two weeks, and want to use PyDSTool (which, from the outside, looks fantastic).

Has anyone written up anything on getting PyDSTool working in the Anaconda environment in Windows 7?

Unfortunately, I am not a hacker, and my initial attempts to get PyDSTool working have yielded a fail. I have been (probably incorrectly) following the instructions here:
http://www2.gsu.edu/~matrhc/GettingStarted.html#head-607f3c0ee247904b85ccb5001f8b0a7ff13392f6

But frankly I am such a noob I am not sure of all the dependencies, or even if my Python can see my c compiler. I feel I am lost in a labyrinth and will spend the next two weeks in installation hell, which I unfortunately don't have time for right now (but I feel like it's giving in to just do it the easy way in Matlab). Any help anyone can give me I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I have extracted the PyDSTool folder to C:, added PyDSTool to my Python path, and then (from within the test directory in PyDSTool) I ran the test in the iPython shell with:
run run_all_tests.py

And every test failed.

System info: I am on Windows 7 with Anaconda 1.9.1 (using Spyder/ipython), and use mingw.

I almost hate to say it, but I can switch to Ubuntu, which I already have installed, if I absolutely must, to get this working quickly (though frankly I prefer Windows 7 to Ubuntu).

 Cross-posted at:

Eric

Apr 20, 2014, 2:44:10 PM4/20/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Note I also posted this message at the PyDSTool forum:
https://sourceforge.net/p/pydstool/discussion/472291/thread/3a3b2ced/

Eric

Apr 20, 2014, 7:21:09 PM4/20/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Note at the other thread I cross-posted to (https://sourceforge.net/p/pydstool/discussion/472291/thread/3a3b2ced/) the developer of the package is giving me a hand in case anyone is interested. I'd really love if this became part of standard anaconda distribution.

Trent Nelson

Apr 20, 2014, 7:24:34 PM4/20/14
to anac...@continuum.io

Had a quick peek to see if I could knock out a quick conda package for "PyDSTool"...

Upon reviewing it: oh my.  That... that is not a straight forward package.  The lack of a standard setup.py adds a pretty big cognitive burden.

--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Eric

Apr 20, 2014, 7:33:19 PM4/20/14
to anac...@continuum.io
Trent that is actually a relief, I was starting to think I was missing something obvious. One thing I will do: once I get this set up, I will write a set of relatively detailed instructions on how to get it working in 'conda. Note they are on v.88, and on v.9 the devs said they plan to do a proper setup.py type  file I think.

Eric

Apr 25, 2014, 9:56:02 AM4/25/14
to anac...@continuum.io
After a couple of days it seems I hit a roadblock installing this. Bummer. What would I have to do to get help with this from Continuum? Is this the kind of thing the $1000 consulting fee would cover? (Not that I can afford that, just trying to get a sense for how it would work.) For now I'm just doing it the easy way, in Matlab :)