[HT Australia] St Mary MacKillop - Yesterday Tues - 'Patron Saint of trouble makers'

Clem Clarke

Aug 9, 2023, 11:06:56 AM8/9/23
to Australia All Group
Greetings all,

Yesterday was the celebration for Australia's only saint, Saint Mary McKillop.

I am actually related to her and proud of my connection to her. We  see her as a role model and an inspiration. Many of her relatives are committed to carrying on her work of social justice and service to others.

I was Googling details about her, and all upon a sudden, an ABC article appeared suggesting that she was the 'patron Saint of trouble makers'.  The article is here:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/soul-search/ten-years-on:-mary-mackillop,-the-patron-saint-of-troublemakers/12770100

We absolutely need some "trouble makers" to force governments to change laws to save the planet. Fires, floods, humidity, animals - we need action.

I wanted to know more about Saint Mary MacKillop.  And so I asked Google's Artificial Intelligence software Bard.Google.Com to tell me more.  See below.

It is interesting that the Pope, the Eastern Churches, and the Anglicans put out a joint statement a few years ago stating that they were working together on Climate Change.

Let's work with them, and save the world for our children.

Cheers,

Clem Clarke

------
I asked "Why is St Mary Mackillop known as the 'patron saint of trouble makers'"

Google replied:

Saint Mary MacKillop is known as the "patron saint of troublemakers" because she was a woman who challenged the status quo and fought for what she believed in. She was not afraid to stand up to authority, even when it meant going against the church.

For example, when MacKillop founded the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart, she insisted that the sisters be able to own property and control their own finances. This was a radical idea at the time, as women were not typically allowed to own property or have control over their own finances.

MacKillop also challenged the church's teaching on education. She believed that all children, regardless of their social class, should have access to a good education. She founded schools for poor children and for girls, which was also a radical idea at the time.

MacKillop's work often put her at odds with the church hierarchy. She was excommunicated for a time, and she was often criticized for her outspokenness. However, she never gave up on her work, and she continued to fight for what she believed in.

Today, MacKillop is remembered as a woman of courage and determination. She is an inspiration to people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in, even when it means challenging the status quo.

Here are some other reasons why Mary MacKillop is known as the "patron saint of troublemakers":

·                                 She was a strong advocate for women's rights.

·                                 She fought for the rights of the poor and marginalized.

·                                 She was not afraid to speak her mind, even when it made her unpopular.

·                                 She was willing to challenge the authority of the church.

MacKillop's life and work are an inspiration to people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in, even when it means challenging the status quo. She is a true "troublemaker" in the best possible sense of the word.

--
Humanity's Team Australia