Conservation Case Studies for Imperiled Encyclopedia

61 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

John Quinn

no leída,
27 ago 2020, 12:27:05 p.m.27/8/2020
para North America Section List

Dear Conservation Colleagues,

This next year I am working with a team of editors compiling conservation case studies for publication as part of Imperiled: The Encyclopedia of Conservation (similar to the Encyclopedia of Biomes - https://www.elsevier.com/books/encyclopedia-of-the-world-s-biomes/goldstein/978-0-12-816096-1 )  The section is unique among the ~270 chapters in that we are collecting case studies on actions taken and lessons learned (as compared to other authors that are focusing on threats or reasons for a species or ecosystem being rare or imperiled).

These case studies are usually over 2,000 and up to 6,000-8,000 words (10-15 citations) and are due in about 4-6 months. As you consider this request, please feel free to pull in colleagues or graduate students as co-authors as this would be an opportunity for a fast-turnaround DOI citable publication if that helps with the timing.

Within the manuscript, I am suggesting to start with four main sections so as to be consistent across submissions, however there is flexibility in the process;

  1. Introduction to the case study (location, biogeography, actors, history)
  2. Focus on reason(s) for conservation need
  3. Actions taken and subsequent outcomes (positive or negative are both important!)
  4. Lessons learned and recommendations.

Articles can be a good match to a literature review that graduate students typically write, or literature reviewed for species conservation assessments, reports or Introductions to research papers.

The primary audience of the encyclopedia is students and researchers looking for fundamental information in fields such as conservation biology, sustainability, forestry, ecology, wildlife management, marine ecology, population biology, environmental ethics, natural resource policy and biogeography. It will also be valuable to concerned government and non-government organizations working across the world in conservation and development. Articles get published online with a DOI once ready so you do not need to wait until they are all published in 2022. As an author, Elsevier will provide you with a modest honorarium of $50 and 12 months free online access to Earth Systems and Environmental Science www.sciencedirect.com.

What is needed now is fairly simple – (1) an indicative article title, and (2) lead (corresponding) author name and email, and (3) date you plan to submit. Please choose a submission date before May 2021 to give us time to review and revise it as needed.

If I can answer any other questions please let me know.

john

John Quinn

Associate Professor of Biology

Furman University