Coming soon: My book about shark science and conservation!

David Shiffman

Jun 8, 2021, 10:44:24 AM6/8/21
Hello!

This World Ocean Day, I have exciting news: I have written a book about the science and policy of saving threatened sharks from extinction for Johns Hopkins University Press! I've been working on this book in various forms for many years, and today we can officially launch the book's website!  https://www.press.jhu.edu/news/announcements/coming-soon-why-sharks-matter-deep-dive-worlds-most-misunderstood-predator

The book is a popular science book, not a textbook, designed for people who love sharks and want to learn more about them. It discusses why sharks are amazing animals, why we're better off with them than we are without them due to their ecological importance as top predators, the biggest threats to shark populations, and what can and should be done to protect them. It includes an extensive discussion on what you can do to help sharks, as well as what scientists and environmentalists are already doing and how you can help them. Throughout, you'll meet some of the brilliant and passionate scientists and environmentalists who I'm proud to call colleagues, and throughout I'll bust some of the biggest myths about sharks, shark research, and shark conservation.

The book will be for sale in May of 2022, but if you'd like to sign up for more information including receiving a notification when pre-orders are available, please click the link "click to be alerted when pre-orders are available" on the book's website.

And if you're willing to help spread the word, here are some social media posts you can share that contain all this information:

Or if you'd prefer to write your own post, please just tag me so I can find it and keep track!

Thank you!

Sincerely,
--

David Shiffman, Ph.D.
Marine Conservation Biologist, Scientific and Environmental Consultant, and Science Writer

e: david.s...@gmail.com | t: @WhySharksMatter |
b: Southern Fried Science Blog