Question: how are NGOs in US handling IRB?

Dayer, Ashley

Jun 7, 2024, 2:21:28 PMJun 7
to SSWG Working Group List

Hi Social Science Colleagues,

For those of you at NGOs in the US: how are you handling Institutional Review Board review for human subjects research, if at all?  I work with some NGOs interested in developing this capacity, and I’m wondering if there are contract IRBs that organizations have used with success or other solutions (aside from just jumping on protocols with academic partners).

Please reply off list.

Best,

Ashley

Ashley A. Dayer, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Human Dimensions

Department of Fish and Wildlife Conservation

Virginia Tech

Email: da...@vt.edu

Dayer Lab website

HD Option for Wildlife & Fish Conservation majors

Pronouns: she/her/hers

signature_3714334097

Sharon Moran

Jun 7, 2024, 2:35:16 PMJun 7
to da...@vt.edu, SSWG Working Group List

Hello Ashley,

I’m not an NGO, just another professor, so I have no direct answer to your question. But when I hear discussions of IRB contract companies, the name that usually comes up (here in New York) is Brany (https://www.brany.com/irb-services/).

Sharon

Dr. Sharon Moran,   Associate Professor

(she/her pronouns)  Department of Environmental Studies
SUNY – Environmental Science and Forestry
Syracuse, NY  13210
smo...@esf.edu   //   https://www.esf.edu/faculty/moran/

*** Research Associate Professor, Syracuse University, Department of Religion

*** Affiliated Faculty, Syracuse University, Department of Geography

*** Graduate Program in Environmental Science, SUNY - Environmental Science and Forestry

Jun 7, 2024, 10:09:44 PMJun 7
to smo...@esf.edu, da...@vt.edu, SSWG Working Group List
Hi!
We used Solutions IRB in the past. Fairly easy process and competitive pricing structure. https://www.solutionsirb.com/

Dr. Rebecca Eagle-Malone, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept of Natural Sciences
Malone University

Craig Severance

Jun 7, 2024, 10:46:52 PMJun 7
to rsea...@gmail.com, smo...@esf.edu, da...@vt.edu, SSWG Working Group List
mY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT IF THERE IS A UNIVERSITY NEXUS,  ngo BOARD MEMBER USING uNIVERSITY COMPUTER? BUT ESP IF FUNDING IS INVOLVED, YOU NEED TO ENGAGE THE INSTITUTIONAL irb, AND IF A fEDERAL aGENCY IS INVOLVED YOU NEED OMB CLEARANCE, BUT VERIFY, SINCE i'M OLD!