Call for grey literature on the impact of cat predation

Cameron Pearce

Jun 10, 2021, 10:55:15 AM6/10/21
to SSWG Working Group List
Hi all,

I am a MSc Environmental Technology Student at Imperial College London, currently conducting my research project titled ‘Domestic cat management in biodiversity conservation: A systematic map and international comparison of cat owners' perceptions’. The aim of the project is to produce a systematic map and international comparison on cat owners’ perceptions on the impact cats are having on wildlife and control strategies to minimise wildlife depredation.

I am in the process of collating grey literature on the topic. If anyone has any grey literature on this topic they could recommend to me that would be fantastic.

Thank you for your help.

Best Wishes,
Cameron Pearce

Craig Severance

Jun 10, 2021, 3:28:29 PM6/10/21
to cp7...@gmail.com, SSWG Working Group List
Don't know of any owners or 'feeders" attitude surveys, but if it's relevant?? . In hawaii we have a serious and intractable issue with feral cat populations and feral cat feeders, since feral cats feces enter the watershed and coastal waters carrying toxoplasmosis, which is a major source of mortality for our critically endangered  Monk Seals.  LMk  Craig

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/a/conbio.org/group/SSWGlist

Mollie Chapman

Jun 15, 2021, 9:04:51 AM6/15/21
to se...@hawaii.edu, cp7...@gmail.com, SSWG Working Group List
Hi Cameron,

Also see the work by the Stewardship Center for BC (canada) on this topic:

Best,
Mollie

Simon Wegner

Jun 15, 2021, 6:36:16 PM6/15/21
to cp7...@gmail.com, SSWG Working Group List

Hi Cameron,

There are several relevant projects in New Zealand for you.

First, the New Zealand Department of Conservation has a survey of attitudes to conservation that includes a question about the perceived threat to native species from domestic or feral cats (among other threats). They has also been involved in more formally published research on cat owner attitudes and self-reported behaviour management actions, such as these in 2015 and 2019.

There are also a few private and/or local initiatives that may be of interest:

https://www.trelissickpark.org.nz/Newsletters/Final526Project.pdf

http://cattracker.nz/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Cat-Tracker-New-Zealand_report_Dec2017.pdf

https://www.companionanimals.nz/publications

https://wellington.govt.nz/news-and-events/news-and-information/our-wellington/2016/03/cats-dogs-pigeons-and-roosters

https://haveyoursay.gw.govt.nz/pestplan/news_feed/what-did-you-tell-us-through-our-survey

https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-030218-050743/unrestricted/Evaluation_of_Animal_Bylaw_and_SnipnChip_IQP_NZ_2018.pdf

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/mid-canterbury-selwyn/123073576/selwyn-cat-lovers-cockahoop-desexing-plan-not-going-the-whole-hog

For a few of those, you may have to contact the organisations to get detailed results.

Best of luck,

Simon

Simon Wegner

Social Researcher

Economy and Society Research Group, Scion

Te Papa Tipu Innovation Park

Titokorangi Drive (formerly Long Mile Road)

Private Bag 3020, Rotorua 3046, New Zealand

DDI +64 7 343 5305

Scion logo

Scion Website  Twitter  LinkedIn  YouTube  Flickr

Please note: I do not work on alternating Fridays, so please forgive any delays in responding.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees named above. It may contain information which is legally privileged, confidential or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it. As part of Scion’s cyber security policy, Scion’s IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing, and may include 3rd party monitoring on our behalf.