Reminder SSWG SciCom webinar next week

Matthew Selinske

Sep 2, 2022, 10:30:45 AM9/2/22
to SSWG...@conbio.org

A reminder to sign up for our upcoming seminar Best Practices for Effective Science Communication with Lay Audiences

The Society for Conservation Biology Social Sciences Working Group is commencing a 3-part interactive seminar series focused on effective conservation social science communication.

As conservation social science researchers and practitioners, our impact often depends on translating and communicating our work for the benefit of another audience, whether that be 1) the lay audiences we seek to engage, 2) fellow conservation scientists from other social or natural science disciplines (e.g., ecologists, botanists, zoologists, social science research situated in other epistemologies); or 3) decision-makers that direct conservation practice and policy. During these webinars we will co-develop with the audience and speakers a series of effective communication best practice guides.

Webinar 1: Best Practices for Effective Science Communication with Lay Audiences

Wednesday, September 7th at 4:00-5:30pm (US Eastern Daylight Time; UTC -4)

With much of the world engaging virtually in some manner (e.g., email, online meetings, and social media platforms), conservation professionals have a pivotal opportunity to communicate their research with the public at a much larger scale. However, communication of research findings into messages that non-expert (i.e., lay) audiences understand can be challenging. In this webinar, we seek to examine effective techniques for communicating conservation social science research findings and key messages to lay audiences by asking experts who have successfully engaged audiences to share their experiences and best practices.

Registration is required, please register here to join us. Webinars are available to SSWG members and non-members. Webinars will be recorded and posted to the SSWG website. Please contact ssw...@conbio.org with any questions related to the webinar series

See you then!

Matthew

Matthew Selinske
Postdoctoral Research Fellow| ICON Science Research Group
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
RMIT University

Check out my passion project: Please keep to the path

Recent publications:
Selinske MJ, Bekessy SA, Geary WL, Faulkner R, Hames F, Fletcher C, Squires, ZE, Garrard GE. 2021. Projecting biodiversity benefits of conservation behavior-change programs Conservation Biology.

Selinske MJ, Garrard GE, Gregg EA, Kusmanoff AM, Kidd LR, et al. 2020. Identifying and prioritizing human behaviors that benefit biodiversity. Conservation Science and Practice.

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nations on whose unceded lands RMIT staff, students and visitors are meeting on. It respectfully acknowledges their Elders, past and present.