Request for Public Nominations for Authors and Scientific/Technical Inputs for the First National Nature Assessment

Tara Thornton

Nov 28, 2023, 2:20:26 PM11/28/23
to ESA Grassroots list, ESC Wolves, NAl...@conbio.org

Request for Public Nominations for Authors and Scientific/Technical Inputs for the First National Nature Assessment

Hello all,

This week, the U.S. Department of the Interior, on behalf of the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP), has begun soliciting nominations for authors and scientific/technical inputs for the First National Nature Assessment (NNA1).

The U.S. has long been a leader on the science and knowledge about nature and its conservation, management, and use. Yet the few general assessments that we have done for the U.S. are dated, the last in 1999. To help address this gap, President Biden issued EO 14072 on 22 April 2022—Earth Day—directing the Federal government to carry out a National Nature Assessment (NNA). The NNA is just one part of a broader agenda to conserve and restore nature for the U.S., essential to measuring and monitoring our progress. It complements the America the Beautiful initiative, the National Strategy for Natural Capital Accounting, the roadmap for using nature-based solutions, the Climate Adaptation and Resilience Plans, among others.

For more information, please see the full request for public nominations for authors and scientific/technical inputs here.

Sincerely,

Stephenne Harding, Senior Director for Lands

Sara Gonzalez-Rothi, Senior Director for Water

Receiving this from a colleague? Click here to sign up for future updates.

1200px-US-CouncilOnEnvironmentalQuality-Seal.svg.png

--

Tara Thornton
Deputy Director

I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Wabanaki Confederacy.