Extended deadline: Guest Faculty for the 2024 Amazon Research Initiative for Educators

Lindsey Swierk

Dec 31, 2023, 12:33:33 AM12/31/23
to North America Section List

Deadline extended to **January 5, 2024**

Please contact Lindsey Swierk (LSw...@binghamton.edu) for an application.

-----

Are you a passionate researcher in the fields of ecology, evolution, or behavior? Do you have a strong desire to inspire and guide K-12 teachers on their scientific journeys? The Amazon Research Initiative for Educators (ARIE) invites you to join our 2024 team as a guest faculty member in the breathtaking Peruvian Amazon rainforest. We're seeking individuals who will not only contribute to scientific mentoring of K-12 science teachers but also may be interested in becoming a valued member contributing to our long-term mission.

The Amazon Research Initiative for Educators (ARIE) is a professional development research experience tailored for elementary, middle, and high school teachers held in the amazingly biodiverse Peruvian Amazon. ARIE is hosted by the Morpho Institute, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization centered on Amazon conservation through education. K-12 teachers participating in ARIE contribute to Morpho’s ongoing research projects, gaining insights into key scientific methodologies, and can conduct their own independent inquiries with guidance from our scientific team. Resulting data are available for K-12 classroom exploration, and classroom connections are an important part of the teachers’ research experience. Working closely with Morpho Institute faculty, teachers delve into research questions to provide a unique opportunity to bridge the gap between inquiry and K-12 classroom applications.

Guest faculty members of the 2024 ARIE program would join our existing ARIE faculty/scientists and share their expertise with K-12 teachers and our team. During the 10-day ARIE program, guest faculty will have the opportunity to pilot short research projects in their focal areas and mentor K-12 teachers. Guest faculty are also welcome to assist with existing research projects if interested. In addition, we encourage guest faculty to deliver a presentation on one’s research and/or lead a workshop for participating teachers. Following the conclusion of the ARIE program, the Morpho Institute will host its 1st Annual “Mentoring Educators in the Amazon” Symposium on July 20-21, in which guest faculty, local naturalists, and the Morpho Institute team will discuss the future of K-12 teacher professional development in the Amazon. This symposium will also explore the potential for future collaborative grant submissions, particularly NSF Research Experience for Teachers. Post-symposium, guest faculty will have 3 additional days to explore the Napo-Sucusari Biological Reserve (including research opportunities on the longest tree canopy walkway in the Americas) with the assistance of our on-site natural history guides, to provide time to better learn about the local ecology and pilot data collection.

Ultimately, we hope to recruit guest faculty who may be interested in joining us long- term as full faculty members. Unlike full faculty members, however, we unfortunately cannot completely fund guest faculty in 2024. Instead, we offer a greatly reduced rate that covers the cost of lodging for the full 2 weeks, 3 catered meals per day, on-site natural history guides, bus and boat transportation to the field site, and travel to/from a local indigenous community for workshops: $1100 USD (airfare not included).

Who: PhD-level scientists (exceptional ABD candidates considered)
When:
July 11-25, 2024, in Loreto, Peru (Symposium July 20-21)
Where: Amazon Conservatory for Tropical Studies in the Napo-Sucusari Biological Reserve, Loreto, Peru (outside of the city of Iquitos)
How: To request an application, please contact Dr. Lindsey Swierk (lsw...@binghamton.edu). Deadline extended to **January 5, 2024**

Don't miss this chance to be part of something remarkable! Join ARIE and Morpho Institute to make a lasting impact on Amazon conservation and K-12 education.