Bright Spots Paper

Cinner, Joshua

Jun 21, 2016, 1:48:35 PM6/21/16
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Dear Colleagues,

It is not often enough that environmental social science makes its way into the spotlight in journals like Science or Nature, so I wanted to share this article with you. Last week, myself and 38 co-authors published an article titled “Bright Spots Among the World’s Coral Reefs”, which uses a positive deviance (bright spots) analysis (common in human health, business, and agricultural economics) to identify reef fish stocks that are doing better than expected, given the socioeconomic and environmental conditions they are exposed to. We then do a preliminary investigation of the conditions that 'make bright spots bright'. It is free to view online in its entirety here: http://rdcu.be/iRgc  (but you must have a subscription or pay to download)
I hope you enjoy!

--
Professor Joshua E. Cinner
Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation

Follow me on twitter:@JoshuaCinner

Tom Dietz

Jun 21, 2016, 2:19:37 PM6/21/16
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Nice!  It is VERY important to engage with these journals even though some social scientists I deal with avoid them.

What would you consider the best methodological description of the "bright spots" approach?

Best,
Tom

Thomas Dietz

Professor of Environmental Science and Policy, Sociology and Animal Studies
Administrative Co-Director, Great Lakes Integrated Science and Assessments Center
Member: Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability, Center for Global Change and Earth Observation
Michigan State University