Official Call for Human Dimensions Success Stories in Bird Conservation: Please Share Widely

Ashley

Mar 24, 2017, 1:23:24 PM3/24/17
to SSWG Working Group List

Human Dimensions Success Stories in Bird Conservation

Please help us by submitting your human dimensions success stories in bird conservation!

The greater bird conservation community has identified a need for human dimensions success stories to be collected, organized, and shared with the community. As such, the North American Bird Conservation Initiative (NABCI) Human Dimensions Subcommittee has volunteered to take on this project and we've created the following Google form to help collect and characterize the success stories where human dimensions/social science has been used to benefit bird conservation.

For the purposes of this data collection, success is defined as some sort of management, program (or approach), monitoring or conservation status change in response to considering/collecting the HD information. For example, what changed after HD information was collected?

Thank you in advance for helping us with this exciting and useful project! Authors will be contacted before success stories are posted.

The following link provides an example of how to complete the form. Feel free to submit multiple success stories by completing 1 form per success story.

Please feel free to send any papers and additional products related to your story to Ashley Gramza, NABCI Human Dimensions Subcommittee Co-Chair and National Bird Conservation Social Science Coordinator, agr...@vt.edu

James Abbott

Apr 11, 2017, 5:23:30 PM4/11/17
to Ashley
Hi Ashley:

This is a great idea. I'd like to contribute an example but I'm not sure if it falls within the HD context.

I live in Toronto and volunteer for FLAP (Fatal Light Awareness Program, flap.org). The broad goal is to reduce migratory bird injuries and deaths by window collisions.

The two main activities are early morning patrols in the downtown core, and advocacy efforts to make buildings more bird friendly, through corporate engagement and government policy (esp at the city level).

The most evocative public engagement occurs in May, when all of the dead birds recovered by volunteers are displayed in the rotunda of the Royal Ontario Museum‎:

If you think FLAP's activities fall within the HD context, please let me know!

Best wishes,
James Abbott, PhD