Call for Abstracts Pathways 2017 Conf

Duke,Esther

Dec 2, 2016, 1:27:22 PM12/2/16
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Pathways Conference 2017
Now Accepting Abstracts and Organized Session Proposals
Are you interested in being a thought leader at the Pathways 2017 Conference?

We invite you to submit an organized session or an individual abstract for the 6th International Pathways Conference. We hope you will join us September 17 - 20, 2017 at the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, Colorado USA where you are encouraged to participate by organizing a session or presenting your original research or managerial case study as an individual oral presentation.

Pathways is the premier scientific meeting and training for academic and government researchers, students, agency scientists, land managers, NGO representatives, and other individuals who are interested in the human dimensions of fish and wildlife management issues. Our theme this year is FUTURES, find our key topics here. We welcome participation from around the world.

Abstract and Organized Session Deadline: April 24, 2017

The proposals section of our website gives you an overview of what sessions and individual presentations look like and explains the requirements, structure, and submission instructions for both. To view our website please visit: http://www.hdfwconference.org.

Best Wishes,

Pathways 2017 Planning Committee

Click here to view an online version of this email.
This email was sent to confe...@warnercnr.colostate.edu.
powered by Ex Ordo

Duke,Esther

Jan 23, 2017, 4:39:15 PM1/23/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Announcing a Special Session at Pathways 2017 in honor of Dr. Stephen Robert Kellert (Tweedy Ordway Professor Emeritus of Social Ecology and Senior Research Scholar at the Yale University School of Forestry and Environmental Studies).

Topic: Understanding the Connections between Humans and Wildlife

Co-Organizers: Mark Damian Duda (Executive Director, Responsive Management), and Robert Powell (George B. Hartzog, Jr. Endowed Professor/Director Institute for Parks, Clemson University)

This Pathways 2017 Conference special session is organized as a tribute to the life and work of Dr. Kellert and includes two sections: Part I is a selection of invited presentations from Dr. Kellert’s former students, colleagues, and collaborators. These presentations directly or indirectly build off of Dr. Kellert’s research and outreach efforts. Part II includes related research and outreach projects inspired by the work of Dr. Kellert. These will be selected from an open call for presentations. Please send abstracts to be considered for inclusion in this session to confe...@warnercnr.colostate.edu by March 24, 2017. In order to be included in the session, the work must focus on human connections/relationships with wild animals and the abstract must reference Dr. Kellert's work in connection with the research to be presented.

Dr. Stephen Kellert was a leader and pioneer in the theory and science of human relationships to nature and wildlife. Throughout the 1970s and 80s he published seminal research on human attitudes towards carnivores and other species, explored cultural factors influencing human-animal relations, and helped reveal trends in human use, values, and perceptions related to wildlife. Dr. Kellert worked with Dr. E.O. Wilson to co-edit The Biophilia Hypothesis, which included contributions from leading thinkers around the globe documenting the interest and attraction that people demonstrate towards animals. His interest in the human need for nature was broad and resulted in a diverse and rich research legacy. He served on committees of the National Academy of Sciences, was a member of the board of directors of many organizations, and received numerous awards and honors during his lifetime. He authored and co-authored more than 150 publications. He was a wonderful mentor to his students and an inspiration to the next generations of human dimensions researchers.

“If we stray too far from our inherited dependence on the natural world, we do so at our own peril.”— Stephen Kellert